Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

which hid kit is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
ddmtuning.com don't waste your money on anything else
they're getting out of the lighting systems, so i'dbe a little leary of how the warrenty is going to be handled, since they've said they WILL NOT be manufacturing any more product for them.

Originally Posted by JST4SHO
hid extra has some great prices and warranties. Have had mone now for over a 1 and half so far and no problems.
Originally Posted by wlorton
HIDextra.com

They are a forum sponsor and I use their products.... They also replaced a members ballasts after some issues, with no cost to the person involved... Great people to work with...
IMO......JUNK!

i just replaced my 5th ballast today. my biggest concern when i was looking into buying them was the life of bulbs. since i drive with my lights on all the time, i was concerned about them burning out fairly quickly. but i've never had any issue with the bulbs, just the ballasts.

both systems are only 15 months old.

BlazinClinton said it best, buy in person. i plan on buying future ballasts from a local guy. he's been selling them for 9 years, imports them directly from Japan, and has only ever had 2 ballasts replaced due to defects. known him for 3 years now, so i feel he's not telling BS stories.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road

How much are your hids that you are planing on buying?

Old 02-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

HIDextra replaced my Ballast for free no questions asked.
All i had to do was send them pictures of the wires cut (to prove i disposed of them) form the bad ballast and the serial number and they sent a new one the next day. i love mine!

Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
All i had to do was send them pictures of the wires cut (to prove i disposed of them) form the bad ballast and the serial number and they sent a new one the next day. i love mine!
-IF- i get a bad ballast or bulb within the next few years, i simply hand it to my warranty guy at the place i work at, and he hands me a brand new one within minutes.
how long does it take them to get yours to you?

and mind you i work at the shop i bought the HID kits for and still paid more for my kits than some of the ones i found online.

but i like the speed of service and i know that there are bad products in boxes labeled as new that are being shipped about all over.
i also happen to have really bad luck with stuff like that, i bought a new Speed Controller and Brushless motor for my 1/16 Traxxas Mini Revo and they were bad out of the box, the store even told me they werent gonna help me... now im trying to send suspicious looking electronics to the states and they got sent back as such and now im past the warranty date... goosh darned it.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM
POWERSTROKEN is on a distinguished road

Got any pics of your kit? Also price for a 99 hi and Lo beam setup. Thanks Jim

Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Starting Member

all the kits are the same inside, pics of one kit to another arent any different other than the labels on the ballasts and the clear plastic things around the bulbs. any HID kit you find looks the same.

ill start taking pictures of some of the differences in the bulbs for anyone who doesnt know the difference though, and even some ballasts when i get time. it all depends on how busy i am with installs in a day

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 02-28-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts-Please use the 'Edit' feature to add more info to your last post if no one has replied
Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 PM

Well if they were all the same it wouldn't matter would it? I have the skimping digital DDM kit in 55 watt for my bike as space is at a premium. Unless we work there with you we will have the same warranty issues as anywhere else. I am looking for a kit for my S10 and would like to know why yours is better and what I'm getting for how much. DDM hasn't done me wrong yet. Thanks Jim

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
there was no problem with them replacing them, it was the fact that they've all crapped out, and now i've got to pay for one!

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
-IF- i get a bad ballast or bulb within the next few years, i simply hand it to my warranty guy at the place i work at, and he hands me a brand new one within minutes.
how long does it take them to get yours to you?
they were fairly quick with the replacements, less than 5 days. but i definately like your return policy better.

although i'm sure you're the only one that gets 1+ year warrenty.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Starting Member

our customers get treated just as good as the employees, they just have to pay a little more.

the Low Beam and Fog Light kits i got came to a total cost of $237, MY cost. this is special employee pricing but like i said, guarantees are worth more than saving $100 or something to me. one of these pay days (after i do some idler arm and ball joint repairs) ill do the high beams cuz it looks so dumb when i switch and the light is dimmer but aimed higher. lol

Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM

DDM's ballasts have a lifetime warranty. I sure hope someone is wrong about them getting out of the game. I have 4 of their HID kits right now. Jim

Quick Reply: which hid kit is best?