Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

which hid kit is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
Nikoli is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazinClinton
our customers get treated just as good as the employees, they just have to pay a little more.

the Low Beam and Fog Light kits i got came to a total cost of $237, MY cost. this is special employee pricing but like i said, guarantees are worth more than saving $100 or something to me. one of these pay days (after i do some idler arm and ball joint repairs) ill do the high beams cuz it looks so dumb when i switch and the light is dimmer but aimed higher. lol
Im not looking to spend 250 bucks on a hid kit. Whats wrong with ddm's or hidextra's around $100 for high and low beam?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Starting Member
BlazinClinton is on a distinguished road

i paid $240 for TWO HID kits. Low beam, and fog lights. the truck has separate bulbs for the low/high so im not 100% sure if youre getting two kits from them, or if its some sort of set up with one ballast for two bulbs or something crazy like that. ive seen high/low kits with what they call a motorized bulb for vehicles where you have the same bulb but different filaments for the high and low

IF youre getting two sets of ballasts (four in total) then its a good deal, if youre getting an assload of relays and wiring harnesses with four bulbs and two ballasts then im not sure how long i would trust the wiring harness

send me a link to these guys, im curious, it sounds like theyre retailing kits cheaper than we pay for them for our shop

Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member

You get one ballast per bulb. So 4 bulbs 4 ballasts for the high low .http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by POWERSTROKEN
DDM's ballasts have a lifetime warranty. I sure hope someone is wrong about them getting out of the game. I have 4 of their HID kits right now. Jim
where to begin.......lets start right from the horses mouth, Jim Powell

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1583933

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.ph...87335&t=387335

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135879

http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215380

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...hid-ddm-2.html

http://www.coloradohpjunkies.com/for...M-tuning-HID-s

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=816928

as you can see, it ain't a joke.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Starting Member

i personally have never seen ballasts like the DDM ones, they look cheap to me, but i havent had my hands on them to get a proper oppinion so i wouldnt take mine on it. if they have good warranty and youre willing to wait days or even weeks driving around with one bulb out, hey give er. buy in person and usually you get faster service is all im sayin

those guys' price changes on what 'options' you want with their kit. lol seems kinda weird to me. i go and tell my boys what im hookin up and get one box off the shelf for each pair of lights im doing, and its a generic kit too. maybe thats where my extra $40 - 50 is going. a free wiring harness. lol i dunno

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 02-28-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts-Please use the 'Edit' feature to add more info to your last post if no one has replied
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM
POWERSTROKEN is on a distinguished road

So how much and pics 99 S10 Blazer? Jim

Well I bit it. I just ordered my DDM kit online 55w, 6000, with harness, 9005, 9006 $148. I hope to order another kit the end of the week as I want another Blazer. Jim

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 02-28-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts-Please use the 'Edit' feature to add more info to your last post if no one has replied
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by POWERSTROKEN
So how much and pics 99 S10 Blazer? Jim

Well I bit it. I just ordered my DDM kit online 55w, 6000, with harness, 9005, 9006 $148. I hope to order another kit the end of the week as I want another Blazer. Jim
Hey i was looking at ddm's site. it doesent seem like you tell them what car you have to fit the wires. is it a one size fits all or what?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Nikoli
Hey i was looking at ddm's site. it doesent seem like you tell them what car you have to fit the wires. is it a one size fits all or what?
unless ur driving dodge, its based on the bulbs you are replacing. all vehicles use pretty much the same bulbs for the high/low or high and low. its not like blazers use bulb A while a buick regal uses bulb N.... they both use a 9005 and 9006 (year depending but the regal i owned and the blazer i own do) so you buy 9005 and 9006 HID kits, since the vehicles have the same light bulbs they have the same light bulb plug, which is where the ballast gets its power (unless you install an optional harness and relay to power them off the battery and trigger them from the headlight harness) -if you ask me its pointless unless youre using a motorized kit, for a vehicle that uses the same bulb for high and low like a ford ranger, high beams arent really much brighter than lows, just aimed higher. and with HIDs, they arent any brighter. they really are only aimed higher.

when replacing fog lights i even take out as much of the bulbs wiring harness as i can, they all have a black rubber plug on the wires with four wires going through, two go to the bulb and the other two simply pass through with a plug on both ends, one can plug into the other.
i get rid of that, unless i need it... for putting HID bulbs in sealed head lamps, like a Dodge Ram, or anything else that uses Halogen bulbs, or projector headlights -if theyre HID compatible.... oh i should shut up and drink my beer now.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nikoli

what did you do when you went to DDM's page?

to find this kit http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W.........

i just cicked on "Shop by Make" on the far left side of the page, selected "Chevrolet". then scrolled down to the bottom of the page. simple enough.

as you can see in the pic i've attached (sorry, not wasting PB bandwidth for this) it's all simple plug 'n play.

- truck plugs into matching plug on bulb.
- other dual pin plug plugs into ballast *polarity sensitive. may not be + on +*
- connect single terminal plugs into each other.
- turn on and enjoy!

biggest issue is where to stuff the ballasts.

Attached Thumbnails which hid kit is best?-ddmtuning-hid-kit-pic..jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Starting Member

is that really what the DDM ballasts look like?

as for where to stuff them. i put two on the soft plastic shrouding (one on either side)
and for my fog lights (which are beside my signal lights under the high beams) i stuck them to the back of the grill basically. i shoulda taken pics.

Quick Reply: which hid kit is best?