Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HID Projector Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 11:21 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

That looks incredible! Like the Terminator or some s#it!

Old 12-18-2018, 06:36 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Thought about going a step further and adding some extra LED's, but I want these to be more of a stealthy "stock" looking headlight. Just got done today modding some headlights for my buddy's bike with some red LED's for the devil eye look Little too much for my taste, but it's what he wanted lol

Old 12-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Today I got the support trimmed up enough to fit the lights in on both sides. I mounted them in and fired them up and found that the rotational aim was WAY off on both sides... Both sides dip down towards the outside... So I had to pull the projectors back out of the lights, which is why I only "tacked" them in with the JB weld putty to start with

So for now the truck is sitting with the empty buckets mounted in, waiting on it to get dark so that I can mount the projectors in while they're powered up and aim them as I set them in with the JB weld putty again. Sort of a pain, but part of the process unfortunately...

Old 12-22-2018, 07:28 PM

Got the projectors reset into place, not perfect (nothing about this project is lol), but MUCH better than before. Going to let them set and cure (just held in with some dabs of quick steel) and I'll slather the back with some more JB weld to lock in the projectors.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:30 PM

Finally got around to locking in the projectors today with some JB Weld quick. First time I've ever used the stuff, and they're not lying about the quick set lol. Barely have enough time to spread the stuff before it starts getting thick and setting up. Also on a side note, the stuff literally smells like fish...

Now I'm working on getting all the old sealant out from the grove in the housing and off the lens so I can apply a fresh bead of butyl and get them back together finally.

I also got in some 6000k bulbs to replace the 4300k ones that are in them. Purely a preference... plus they're match my fogs lol. Notice in the last picture of the last post the color difference between the headlight beam along the top and the fog light beam along the bottom.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 01-01-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:52 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Not too shabby. Looks good.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:32 PM

You've convinced me on how easy it is.
I am going to try this myself eventually. I have some extra ebay projectors to play with. Just need to order the Morimotos..

Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 PM

Finally got around to final assembly. They ended up being one of those "good from far but far from good" results, but as I mentioned before I sort of knew that going into it, considering I just reused my old set of aftermarket lights. But they do look nice! Can't wait to get them installed this weekend I'd do it now but it's 9:00pm and I just don't feel like messing with it in the dark lol

Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Dang, those look way cooler than the eBay halos!

Old 01-05-2019, 01:03 PM

Got them installed, and I must admit I dig the look!

Got them roughly aimed against some marks I made against the garage door before the project, but once it gets dark I'll be able to get them dialed in, and I'll post some more photos of the beam pattern too.

A little irritated that one of the brand new 55w 6000k bulbs that I just ordered ended up being no good... wouldn't ignite... so I had to fall back to the 35w 6000k bulbs... will see if I can get the eBay seller to send me another bulb, but for now the 35w will do just fine.

Quick Reply: HID Projector Retrofit