Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HORN-DM fuse is constantly blowing

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road
Default HORN-DM fuse is constantly blowing

A long time ago, I plugged a portable tv into my cigarette lighter, and the fuse blew. I thought nothing of it a replaced the fuse. A few weeks later, I was at McDonald's. I opened my door, the light came on, and I shut it. My sister got in, and when she opened the door, the light never came on. I replaced the fuse again, and a while later it blew. I put a higher amperage fuse in it, and it lasted for a few hours. When I put another fuse in, it blew before I could even get my fingers off it. I gave up after that since I ran out of fuses. Earlier today, I decided to fix it. I went out and took all the dome light bulbs out. It still blew. So I looked up a bunch of things, and found that people often have this problem when a cigarette lighter wears out. So I went in and unplugged the cigarette lighter, making sure to tape the wires so they would be accesible later, and so they don't bump together and short. I plugged the fuse in, and it worked. I decided to put the bulbs back in. It still worked, and I had lights. I was putting something in the glove box with my door open, and when I shut the glove box, it blew again. I took the bulbs back out, and put another fuse in. It blew. I gave up. What's the problem here? Why is this happening?!?!?!

edit: I found the problem- it really made me feel stupid... I left one miniscule bulb- the one in the glove box- and when I pulled it out, everything worked perfectly.

Now... How do I fix the glove box light? And should I plug my cigarette lighter back in? I have tons of things that run off it, but I don't wanna go through this mess again.

Last edited by JTalley; 11-23-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I would replace the glove box switch. Mine was worn out and I had to replace it. I think I got mine from LMC Truck.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road

That's what it was. I fixed it a few weeks ago, though. I still haven't gotten another switch, though, I just pulled the bulb. I don't really use the light in there very often.