Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

HOT switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member
G.I. joe is on a distinguished road
Default HOT switch

Hello all,

Recently I installed a set of fog lights on my bumper. All the wiring was done correctly and connected to a switch in the interior. After the lights have been on for a few minutes, the switch gets hot.

It won't burn you but its very warm. Is this supposed to happen? why is my switch hot?

Thanks

Old 07-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to size the switch properly for the load that the circuit will be flowing. A good way to keep the switch happy & cool is to install a relay to the light. Relays require very little current to activate. Check out the12volt.com for info on relays & how to wire them.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Here's a good diagram I just found for a circuit that will work for you. A relay is an electrically operated switch and they're typically rated for more amperage than a standard SPST toggle switch.

If you'd prefer not to add a relay and redo the wiring, make extra sure you have a fuse (so your switch doesn't catch on fire some day) or try and find a switch rated for more power.