Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

How to remove HVAC lights? (1996)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 04:13 PM
Mattmax059 is on a distinguished road
Default How to remove HVAC lights? (1996)

I’ve been looking for weeks now, haven’t found any information anywhere. I tried myself as the old controls were shot and ended up breaking a light.

here are some pictures of said lights. I know that they are #74 bulbs. I just can’t seem to remove them without taking the other two, and making my own sockets or something.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:41 AM
Beginning Member
plcrides is on a distinguished road

not sure if this helps but i have a 1995 z71 and all the light bulbs started going out on my hvac,so i watched some videos on the tube and saw people putting blue leds in theirs so i was like cool i want to do that,well i tried removing my bulbs likes yours and they wouldnt come out,so i looked on amazon for a new hvac and its different the blue led bulbs screwed right in or i could have used white.look online at hvacs and you might see they are different on the back.i mean im sure you could find a real original some place if you wanted to.it plugs in different on the back,sorry its been a long time since i did this.but i couldnt get those bulbs out either.good luck

Old 12-22-2020, 09:17 AM
Mattmax059 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by plcrides
not sure if this helps but i have a 1995 z71 and all the light bulbs started going out on my hvac,so i watched some videos on the tube and saw people putting blue leds in theirs so i was like cool i want to do that,well i tried removing my bulbs likes yours and they wouldnt come out,so i looked on amazon for a new hvac and its different the blue led bulbs screwed right in or i could have used white.look online at hvacs and you might see they are different on the back.i mean im sure you could find a real original some place if you wanted to.it plugs in different on the back,sorry its been a long time since i did this.but i couldnt get those bulbs out either.good luck
I’m definitely in the same boat you were man. I’ve been looking for panels that come with LEDs already installed and it seems as if nobody is making them now (Atleast from what I’ve found.) my best guess is that the bulbs on both panels I own are soldered in.

When you remove the gray clip and try to pull the wires out of the socket, they don’t budge either.

it’s looking almost like I’m going to have to do what I did with the gauge cluster.. smash the bulbs, and pull as hard as I can with needle nose. That is if I can’t figure out the gentle way haha.

Old 12-23-2020, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member
plcrides is on a distinguished road

yea i have my hvac out right now,mines a 2005 and its different,it doesnt have the bulbs that wont come out of the sockets like my 95 truck did,so either someone has already bought one for some reason,or at some point along the way they changed them,i see you have a 96.i have a package of blue leds and i could walk out there and just stick them in and twist lock them in place in like 2 seconds.but im not,im keeping it stock.or well at least that little piece of the blazer