Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Gonna bake my lights, got some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:00 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Gonna bake my lights, got some Q's

I wanna bake my lights to remove the orangy corners (Seen some pics on here and it looks hot). well, is the bulb orange or do I have to buy orange bulbs?

Edit: These images are for reference.

Mine:

Someone else s (what I want):

Removing the orange will leave me with the result above, or do I need to add some stuff on? Not sure haha I'm sure my dad'll like to know before I do it. it's technally his truck haha

Last edited by CraigSnedeker; 08-31-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

It's most likely a 194 bulb in there now and when you take out the orange you'll just have to find the amber equivalent to 194's.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:09 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Hmmm, and that'll work nice and bright? We'l have to see where we can find one.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Go search on eBay for amber 194 bulbs. 194's are what you have in your guage lights for back lighting (at least the 98+ years did.) so they should be bright enough.

I'll caution you on one thing, you're getting rid of the factory orange reflector, the police may not be too happy with this. When I bought my clear corner lights, I made sure that there was a reflector.

To avoid a confrontation though, I'd get a little piece of orange reflective tape and put it somewhere inside the housing, you don't want it to look like hell though, so you'd have to be strategic about where you're putting it, like a strip along the back edge of the light if you want.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 AM
BF Veteran

Oh, well, then I'd probably forget it. Don't want trouble with the police haha

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oktain
...I'll caution you on one thing, you're getting rid of the factory orange reflector, the police may not be too happy with this. When I bought my clear corner lights, I made sure that there was a reflector.

To avoid a confrontation though, I'd get a little piece of orange reflective tape and put it somewhere inside the housing...
Depends on the State laws. Here in Texas it has to be a reflector supplied originally in the light. Tape won't cut it.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Let's hope he doesn't live in TX then.

They may not care, but you may wind up getting pulled over by someone who'll be having a bad day. Honestly, a thin strip of reflective tape along the back of the tailight, inside the housing wouldn't look bad.

You could claim you bought the aftermarket lights, and the fact the tape would be inside the light say it's how they came.

Here's an idea... orange = reflector.

*EDIT* You could always cut down some tape, it seems as though there's a flat spot seperating the headlight from the signal light portion inside the housing, a piece of tape there would look good.

Attached Thumbnails Gonna bake my lights, got some Q's-p1010447.jpg  

Last edited by oktain; 09-01-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran

You could claim you bought the aftermarket lights, and the fact the tape would be inside the light say it's how they came.
That would be lying though =P

Old 09-01-2009, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran

Are you actually going to do this mod? Just to keep in the clear, put some tape INSIDE the light and they won't know the difference. "Officer, I bought the lights like this."

Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran

No, I probably won't anymore. Since it's really my dad's truck since we only have 1 vehicle, he won't want anything that will get him pulled over.