Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Huge headlight problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
Emsblazer72 is on a distinguished road
Angry Huge headlight problem!!!

I have a pretty big problem with my headlights. I tried to disable my DRL and ARL because I did not want my lights to be on always. I wanted full control over when they come on and off. Well after doing some investigating I had presumed that I did enough research and inserted a 2.2 KOHM resistor where the thing is set in the speaker in the passenger side. When I inserted the resistor my headlights did not come on when I started my car. I thought nice I fixed the issue.
Boy was I wrong I made a bigger issue. Being that I work from 6:00 p.m. Till 7:00 a.m. I'm always driving right down to work in daylight so I didn't notice anything different. Well I recently came home from the city one night and started my car to realize that the auto lights were still working but the low beams are dull as crap. Like a small hand head flashlight from the early 90's. couldn't see nothing.
So I decided to turn my brights on. Well the problem with this is that I switched the high beams on and they went right back to the dull low beams. I had to hold the high beam switch the whole ride to have adequate lighting.

Is there a way to fix this and what exactly is the problem? How big of a f*** up did I do?
Thank you.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

did you try removing the resistor and putting the sensor back in to see if the problem is fixed? that would be the first thing I would do, upon removing the resistor, if they are back to normal, make sure you have the resistor installed properly.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by richphotos
did you try removing the resistor and putting the sensor back in to see if the problem is fixed? that would be the first thing I would do, upon removing the resistor, if they are back to normal, make sure you have the resistor installed properly.
Ditto.

As a side note, replacing the sensor with the resistor will only disable the auto function, not the DRL's.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM
Beginning Member
Emsblazer72 is on a distinguished road

Sorry forgot to mention that. The most important fact. I removed the resistor and then I plugged it back in and still not working properly. When the car is in park the low beams and high beams work perfectly, but as soon as I put it in drive I have that problem occur.