Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I need DRL disabling help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:17 AM
Beginning Member
chevy92 is on a distinguished road
Default I need DRL disabling help

Ok, I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer XL and I want to disable my DRLs so that I won't scare off the turkeys during turkey season, but I want to keep my fog lamps. All of the other sites tell me to "pull the plug (fuse)", but "the plug" has my DRLs, fog lamps, and radio hooked up to it. Does anyone have a clue on how to disable the DRLs, but not the fog lamps or radio?

Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Beginning Member
Blazed&Confused is on a distinguished road

I googled "how to disable daytime running lights" for my 99 and came across a site that tells you how to disable them on almost every vehicle out there. If you want to disable the auto lights! Remove the passenger side dash speaker grill and unplug the light sensor. Take a 1,000 ohm resistor and solder it across the two wires, tape it up, and you are set.

The way I disabled my DRL's was to take out the relay in the fuse/relay box under the hood and bent back the #85 terminal, then plugged it back in.

Last edited by swartlkk; 06-28-2011 at 06:59 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

The 96 DRLs are reverse fed by a huge resistor through the high beam ground when active. cut that wire and wire the light side of the cut wire to ground and cap off the other end. i believe the wire your after is on the drivers side. haynes or chiltons has the diagram, maybe someone has a scan. Hope it helps.

...or you can just click the e-brake down 1 click.

...and another option (if you can live without highs on your hunting trip) is to unplug your highs as they are your DRLs.

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 06-28-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Beginning Member
ryito1122334455 is on a distinguished road

all you have to do, is to step on your parking brake, very slightly! it will turn off your drl,s!!! if you want them back on just release the parking brake, just tapping your parking brake pedal very slightly, wont engauge it, but it will turn off drl,s hope this helps!!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I'll try that, I hate pullin plugs when it powers everything else you want.

Ok, I tried the e-brake trick, it didn't work. Where is the relay/fuse box do any of yall know? There's a black box attached to the firewall on the driver's side; a metal gray box behind the washer fluid container, with about 5 or 6 metal tubes coming out of it (I'm thinking it's the distributor); and a black box on the engine coolant overflow container on the passenger side, with multiple wires plugged into it (I'm thinking this could be it, but I don't want to mess up my blazer) looks all like a sophisticated computer from Mars; then there's three relays on the center of the firewall. One more thing, is the high beam bulb located in the bottom of the headlights? cause whatever bulb is there, it's the DRLs.

here's some pics that might help.

Attached Thumbnails I need DRL disabling help-imag0001.jpg   I need DRL disabling help-imag0002.jpg   I need DRL disabling help-imag0003.jpg   I need DRL disabling help-imag0004.jpg   I need DRL disabling help-imag0005.jpg  

I need DRL disabling help-imag0006.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 06-29-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

i was thinking about doing a mod to mine that attaches the drl's to my headlights so that all four come on, but still leaves highs seperate, now i wish i had been less lazy because that is exactly what you need, lol, in theory if you know which wires are which you can cut a splice them into the top set of lights( or other set, depending on your year and trim.) then your drls won't be on when you can is running anymore, all four of the light the headlights and the drls will only turn on when you turn your headlights on, but your high beams will still work.

oh just to be clear, you would be wanting to attach only the DRL power wire and ground wire to those of the low beams. leave the high beams wired the way they are. and be sure if you were to do this to make sure to attach the wires coming out of the the light to the power wires going into the low beam. you don't want to attach your DRL wires coming from the fuse box/relay/etc to the low beam because then you will just end up with all your lghts on all the time. hope that makes sense. i was looking for the wire colors online so i could step by step tell you but i can't find it, and currently my haynes manual is at my house and i am not lol

Last edited by swartlkk; 06-29-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Beginning Member

I'm trying to avoid having to cut wires, cause I am not electrically educated very well, I just know the basics. Now if cutting a wire or two is the only option, I'll do it under careful instructions, just so I won't cut the wrong wire(s).

Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I know there is a trick for the 98+ ones, not sure if it works on the 95-97 or not but if you press the dome over ride button about 5 or 6 times pretty fast it will turn off your drl's

Old 06-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Beginning Member

My 96 does not have a dome override switch.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

Since we have the same year car, tomorrow i will take apart mine and make a step by step diy for swapping over your drls to run only when you turn on your other lights, and i'll try and include some pictures, but i'm not sure i will be able to but i will work on a step by step.

Quick Reply: I need DRL disabling help