Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

I need DRL disabling help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road
Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't do it! NuitariFD is seriously overcomplicating the situation, as stated before:

Cut the Dark Blue Wire behind the (Left, according to GM) headlight, run a wire from the headlight side of the wire you cut to ground (screw it to the core support), then CAP off the other end.

If you look at the plug and it is only tan/green/black then look at the other light, only one side will have the dark blue, and you may need to clean the wire to see its color!

ALL DONE!

NOTE: The DRL system BACKFEEDS power down an otherwise grounded wire, for a novice this could be a COMPLICATED circuit to understand!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 AM
Beginning Member
chevy92 is on a distinguished road

Ok, thanks. I'll wait to see what NuitariFD says before I start snippin, oh, and do you have to remove the grill to get to the headlight? I looked and I saw no screws or tabs to remove it by. And the core support is the radiator support deal, right? I know enough to figure out what "backfeed" is. I play around with it with light switches and plugs all the time, it drives everyone insane when the blow dryer is working backwards tho, LOL.

Last edited by chevy92; 06-30-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member
NuitariFD is on a distinguished road

Just pull the fuse that is in the fuse box near drivers seat. it is referring to your drls as fog lamps, so the only thing you lose is your drls, your low beams still work when you are driving and your high beams still work. or you could cut wire, but i wouldn't recommend that. this way you pull the fuse, put it in the fuse holder on the lid, and when your turkey season is over you can just plug the fuse back in, if you even want to.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chevy92
Ok, thanks. I'll wait to see what NuitariFD says before I start snippin, oh, and do you have to remove the grill to get to the headlight? I looked and I saw no screws or tabs to remove it by. And the core support is the radiator support deal, right? I know enough to figure out what "backfeed" is. I play around with it with light switches and plugs all the time, it drives everyone insane when the blow dryer is working backwards tho, LOL.
Yes you must remove the grill, there are a few screws on top and 2 I believe in the face of it. The lights themselves are screwed to the core support.
The backfeeding I am talking about is not the same situation, there is a relay that disconnects a ground at its ground and connects it to a hot sourced resistor, and this is what powers your DRLs, DC current can act a lot differently than AC current!

Originally Posted by NuitariFD
Just pull the fuse that is in the fuse box near drivers seat. it is referring to your drls as fog lamps, so the only thing you lose is your drls, your low beams still work when you are driving and your high beams still work. or you could cut wire, but i wouldn't recommend that. this way you pull the fuse, put it in the fuse holder on the lid, and when your turkey season is over you can just plug the fuse back in, if you even want to.
I was under the impression that the OP stated that his DRL fuse also powered his radio and other devices? NuitariFD is right if you can just pull a fuse then do that by all means.

Hope it Helps!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Beginning Member
chevy92 is on a distinguished road

ok, I know there is a 5 prong relay switch in this blazer somewhere in a relay center somewhere under the hood, I want to know where, please.