Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Intrusement panel giving me issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 07:32 PM
johnnysauur is on a distinguished road
Default Intrusement panel giving me issues..

I have a 1996 chevy blazer. Not any drastic electrical mods to it.. Only a bass system hooked up. I'm an electronic technician and Im absolutely stumped, probably from tired eyes xD.

Anywayy, to the point before I ramble on. My instrument panel lights up fine, turns off and on fine with the headlight switch, but 2 select gauges decided to be stubborn.. The needle of the speedometer wont light up, nor will the oil pressure gauge.. All gauges work, but those two are the only ones that wont light up..

I've disassembled and reassembled the dash, checked all the bulbs. They're all fine.. I've even replaced the headlight switch that turns on the instrument lights. But those two pesky lights will not come on.. I have no idea why they aren't. They have to be getting connection or the other part of the speedometer wouldn't light up.. I wonder if anyone had any issues with these panels in any of their models.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Have you tried new bulbs? That is the first thing that comes to mind, visually checking these bulbs does not always work. I say try new bulbs.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:55 AM

I've taken them out and actually hooked them up to power. They light up..

Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 AM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

there may be a crack in one section of the flexible circuit board that go to the lights in question

Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 4X4GS10B
there may be a crack in one section of the flexible circuit board that go to the lights in question

this

usually you can follow the circuits ,see if they share anything in common
You may be able to solder the circuit if you can find a break

I had an issue with daytime running lights in my car
I talked to a buddy in the local dealership and he directed me to the DRL module ($300 part)
It took me longer to get the module in and out than find and solder the issue

Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 AM

I'll probably disassemble on Tuesday.. I looked and I couldn't find any breaks in the circuit. But I may have overlooked something. The only thing I saw is that its been taken apart before.I bought it used. There were bulbs missing. Note that it did work when I got it. All lights did light up. Then they went off, and randomly came back on the next week or so, but then back off again...

Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM

A little of a dead thread, but I still havent been able to resolve the issue.. I have it taken apart now, I dont see any breaks in the flexible circuit board.. I'm thinking about taking it apart and seeing if theres a short in it..

Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Get some solder and a soldering iron, and go over every solder joint with a dot of new solder, melting the previous and adding new... GM is notorious with having cold/bad solder joints on components.