Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

LED's...where to tie them!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member
Eraston is on a distinguished road
Default LED's...where to tie them!

Ok so i have some LED strips i picked up at walmart that i tied to my amps outputs i have my sub on, wich is the coolest **** in the world because i now have the back of my blazer lighting up VERY bright blue completely inside and outside if i open the hatch (i have 3 strips and they are about 15 LED's a piece.) that light up when the sub hits!

I know im not maxing out what my amp can put out so i dont think im hurting the amp or the sub.

but now i wanna add some lights to the front of the car (in the pasanger/driver foot area.) but i dont know what to wire them too since i dont want those to hit...i want them solid.

can i wire them straight to the battery? they are 12v but i dont know i should tap into maybe one of the dash lights that arent important like the AC/Heater but i dont know if that will drain the light going to that significantly.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

tap the light in the ash tray. unlike the plug there, it is only on when the ignition is on, so it wont drain out like the lighter plug.

wire it up to a toggle or rocker switch too so you can cut it when you dont want it. you might want to wire a switch into you amp sub strobes also since it will get real old to be flashing blue on the street where it's not what the French would call "legal"...

The Battalion i am with has an H1 with the subs wired through an old school car alarm "tremor sensor" so all of the marker lights strobe when the bass hits. it was really cool for about 2 days.... now i wish you could turn it off (even though you are not supposed to run the system when driving.... )

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Beginning Member
Eraston is on a distinguished road

thanks ill tap into that!

and i have a switch on the dash for my amp, and for the lights i have tapped into it.

because they WILL get me in trouble they are extremely bright and sometimes i dont want the sub to kick so i can shut off the amp. ill be adding one for the front lights too

Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

The other option is to wire it into the footwell bulbs (probably the most common route). That way they are only on when you have your doors open.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member
ryanarmstrong is on a distinguished road

overhead lights also just a thought a multimeter is a very useful tool to have