Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

lights flickering after HO install

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Beginning Member
ali1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lights flickering after HO install

So i installed my 270 amp alternator, but i found out that my headlights,dashboard lights, and my interior lights are flickering really fast. I have no sound system yet. Just the HO alt and a redtop battery underneath. Voltage is showing a strong 14.7v. I noticed this yesterday night when I was driving and seen the reflection of my headlights on the ground. Then i looked in my dash and my interior lights and they are doing the same thing.

Anyway to fix this?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

you fix it by getting a smaller alternator, your pcm controlls your alternator and your stock pcm cant handle that many amps so it doesnt know what to do. im surprised you havent fryed anything yet.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:52 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

^^common misconception everyone makes when they hear HO alternator

make sure all the grounds are good, or have it taken off and load tested. could be a faulty unit.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:33 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

also The only way a high output alternator can "fry" anything is if it is overcharging due to a failure in the alternator. Your factory alternator can do the same thing also if it is faulty.

How did you install the unit, or was it installed for you? With a 270 amp I'd run 1/0 gauge wire for the big 3. Did you modify the harness connection or was it a plug and play? It shouldn't be a hard fix. Just start going in order testing your wire to see if they are staying at voltage or having drops or anything. Keep us informed!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Ryanmatt135
you fix it by getting a smaller alternator, your pcm controlls your alternator and your stock pcm cant handle that many amps so it doesnt know what to do. im surprised you havent fryed anything yet.

Not true. I have done plenty of HO alts in this blazer when i keep getting in and out of the mobile audio hobby. Why would i fry something? Voltage is 14.7 consistently and amperage will only be drawn if demanded.

Originally Posted by 01vortec
^^common misconception everyone makes when they hear HO alternator

make sure all the grounds are good, or have it taken off and load tested. could be a faulty unit.
I checked all grounds. They seem fine as a whistle. Will they do load testing on an ext regulated alternator?

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
also The only way a high output alternator can "fry" anything is if it is overcharging due to a failure in the alternator. Your factory alternator can do the same thing also if it is faulty.

How did you install the unit, or was it installed for you? With a 270 amp I'd run 1/0 gauge wire for the big 3. Did you modify the harness connection or was it a plug and play? It shouldn't be a hard fix. Just start going in order testing your wire to see if they are staying at voltage or having drops or anything. Keep us informed!
I installed it myself. I have done the big3 in 1/0. I will add those pics later. How i did it? I removed the old alt, put the stock harness away from any other wires. Installed the HO alt, plugged in the harness from my ext regulator. the ext regulator is placed in the back just laying in the cargo area. Wires are secured tightly. I used the harness that came with my ext regulator.

I will definately keep you informed. thanks for the fast responses!!

Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member

Here is my install. I was told by the manufacturer since i'm placing the regulator in the cargo area, that wire is not big enough and is having too much resistance, so i need to step it up to 8Guage. What do you guys think?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:47 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah if your running from the front to the back (probley about 15 foot) I'd run 8-6 gauge. Less resistance and the power can flow easier and quicker.

Also the install looks clean. What alt is that? The clip looks like a 4pin with 2 wires so I'd say a cs130 beefed up but the case looks big enough to be a ad244. I need a new alt, heck I need alot of things lol.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Beginning Member

This is the one i purchased : http://mechman.com/store/product_inf...products_id/93

problem is how am i going to run three runs of 8guage on one side of the vehicle

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice looking install. Why did you place the reg in the back? Just curious. I plan on doing a similar upgrade soon myself.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

dude, i can't find a spot to put it under the hood. Help me out and point me a location to mount it. i'm a noob under the hood so i need the simplest spot

Quick Reply: lights flickering after HO install