Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Low Beams Turning Off at Random

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Low Beams Turning Off at Random

It seems to be nearly random, but sometimes while driving after turning off my high beams for oncoming traffic my low beams don't turn back on, therefore leaving me suddenly in the dark. This can end badly fast as you'd assume since now I can't see and the oncoming traffic can no longer see me. I can still manually turn on the fog lights which will give me some sight, but the low beams won't turn back for a while. Usually it requires me hitting a pothole hard too get the lights back on. It seems to happen most often after turning off my high beams, but has happened once or twice when turning on the car at night.

Any ideas would be helpful for I'm kinda at a lost as to what might be the cause of this. I have two theories.

1) The dimmer switch is bad. Earlier the auto lights stopped functioning (about 8 months ago). Since then I have had to turn on my lights manually. I think the dim switch is just stuck in manual mode or something along this line. Maybe it is on its way out and now is effecting the running lights? The fog light button on this switch still works though.

2) The multi function lever. On my mother's Buick Century this lever broke and caused a similar issue, however it was joined by a few additional problems as well. This included most annoyingly the 4-ways would come on and off at random (this is not occurring on my car). I have a vague idea on how to switch this out based on how I did it with the Buick. However the part is fairly expensive and hard to get replaced since it requires removing the dash panel (mine is already cracked so it would likely break upon removal).

3) Maybe some kinda of fuse or relay? Doubt it but this is a cheap and easy fix. Anyone know of a relay/fuse that has been known for doing this?

Last edited by LuckyAce; 05-28-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

The multi-function switch was a common problem on these and a few other GM's . I had a recall on my Astro , but it was never recalled on the Blazer / Jimmy's.