Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Mod to run fog lights as cornering lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Beginning Member
ClickBoom is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Mod to run fog lights as cornering lights?

So I've been driving around with my dad a lot recently in his '04 Envoy XUV equipped with cornering lights. For those unaware, cornering lights illuminate the area to the side of your vehicle in the direction you're signaling. I have after market foglights in my tow hook spots and have been inspired to mod them and wire them up to do the same thing. (I don't want to drive with them just on all the time)

I found this diagram for wiring up a relay for cornering lights that steadies the pulsed output of the flashing turn signal: http://images.the12volt.com/12voltim...ninglights.gif

But I figured if you just tapped the signal lever wire BEFORE the flasher, you would have a constant output anyway, thus eliminating the need for the capacitor. But, you would also have to put a diode between the light and the lever as to prevent the current from flowing back into the signal lever so it wouldn't turn the signals on everytime the foglights are switched on.
Then... you could run the fused 12v power source from the headlight circuit so it would only work when they're on. (AKA night time )

So I guess what I'm wondering is... Does this all sound...reasonable, feasible, and correct to those with electrical experience?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:09 AM
Beginning Member

Here's a video on what exactly I want them to do:

Just minus the steering angle thing, it will only function on turn signal.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Tapping the signal lever BEFORE The flasher is not a good idea, fog lights draw too much power for that, and you are just asking for problems.
I would try the relay idea before anything.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richphotos
I would try the relay idea before anything.
x2 on the relay, you may be able to get away with using a relay and taping the line before the flasher relay. But that way you will be running wire all over. If you do wire this up you could also make a write up for others.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:29 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am just not sure I would use fog lights for this application. the amp draw I think would be too much for the blinker circuit and could possibly start a fire or pop a fuse all the time.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the input guys! I guess I wasn't very clear in what I meant; I would use the relay in the same manner the diagram shows, but drawing the power from the headlight circuit and routing it to pin 87. The signal switch wire would be on pin 86, and just be the signal to switch it on. I've got a heavy duty relay harness powering my headlights straight off battery power(hid projector retrofit), so there's not even a load on that circuit now; no worries about overloading there. If the situation I just described is safe and sound by you guys, I'd be glad to do a write up!

Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ClickBoom
Thanks for the input guys! I guess I wasn't very clear in what I meant; I would use the relay in the same manner the diagram shows, but drawing the power from the headlight circuit and routing it to pin 87. The signal switch wire would be on pin 86, and just be the signal to switch it on. I've got a heavy duty relay harness powering my headlights straight off battery power(hid projector retrofit), so there's not even a load on that circuit now; no worries about overloading there. If the situation I just described is safe and sound by you guys, I'd be glad to do a write up!
Gotcha, I think it would work then since you are using the signal wire just to trigger the relay.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by richphotos
Gotcha, I think it would work then since you are using the signal wire just to trigger the relay.
Awesome, that's good news! So should I stick the diodes before or after each relay?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 PM
BF Veteran

I would guess they would go before, I am not 100% on that since I have not done this before.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:26 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Wait, how are you planning to make the fogs come on then? Just a switched +12v source tapped into the turn signal wire? If that's how you would do it then you'd want the diodes between the turn signal tap, and the switched +12v for the fog light function.

If you aren't going to use them as actual fog lights anymore, you don't actually need any diodes.

Quick Reply: Mod to run fog lights as cornering lights?