Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

More lights= big 3 or HO alternator? HELP PLease!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Beginning Member
johnjfeher is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation More lights= big 3 or HO alternator? HELP PLease!

hey guys so first of i need to explain that im currently running 4 kicker ds 60 door speakers and a sound ordance b-8p this is 110 watts max ( has built in amp) i also have two hella 700ff on my bumper (55watt) im looking to install 4 55 watt lights on my safari rack and 2 on the back for when i reverse. could i get away with the big 3 upgrade or would i have to do the swap to the ad244. i can sell the sub and that will free up aprox. 9amps but i was just wondering if my alternator in there (110amp) will do the job with a big 3

Old 05-18-2013, 11:29 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

55 plus 55 is 110.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member

yes i know i was saying that the 700ffs are 55 watt lights..
and do you have an answer to this question?

Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Mine had some trouble with the 4 100w KCs on my roof with a stereo system of about 300w with just the big 3. So I think you'd be okay with just that.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member

Hey thank you very much and you used 0 gauge correct and where did you get it from?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I used 4ga but 0 would be better. You can get it from any car audio shop or even a home depot in the welding section (so I've heard.) Or eBay if you don't have anything else around.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

you would not benefit from 4 gauge to 0 gauge, 0 gauge is overkill unless you are running SERIOUS SERIOUS power

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Beginning Member

so just to clarify you think my truck could handle all the lights including my sound system if i do the big three

Old 05-19-2013, 07:48 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

You're doing the big three, either way. You put a high output alternator to stock wiring, you're looking at a fire. The big three by itself... you need to figure out what you're drawing as far as amperage vs. your alternator output. If you need additional fuse slots, Blue Sea Systems makes auxiliary fuse panels which you can install... I'll post up photos of mine (not yet installed) in a little bit. The one I have has 12 slots for fuses up to 30 amps... you get either a multiple post terminal add-on (I'll show you that, too), or just extended battery posts, and you wire it in with an inline fuse (the one I have says max 125A), then you can wire up additional circuits. I don't know how your vehicle is, but all the fuse slots in the factory fuse panel on mine are spoken for, so it's necessary for me to do any additional wiring.
For my big three, I went with 2AWG that I bought at O'Reilly, and I cut and put the connectors on myself.

Last edited by WitchingHour; 05-19-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I feel like i have said this 1000 times before, but, I did the big 3 on the jimmy, I am running 1000w to the sub, and HID's, and I can have the AC on high, play with the windows for what ever reason while locking and unlocking the doors, and listening to music so loud the windshield wipers are dancing, and nothing dims.

Quick Reply: More lights= big 3 or HO alternator? HELP PLease!