Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Moving Daytime running lights to fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough
Default Moving Daytime running lights to fog lights

I know how to disable the daytime runners but I like the daytime runners and want to move them to my fog lights in the bumper since I really have no use for them anymore. I'd like to put HID's in the high beams but the daytime running lights will kill the life of the HIDs so moving the daytime runners to the fogs seems like a good idea. I'm not sure how to do it anyone have a clue? I know silverados are like that. something like this

not sure if it is possible or just a big pain in the a** any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated

Old 04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Interesting idea. Never thought about that until I read this. I hope you get a working response.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran

right now I have them wired to my high beams which are not as bright as my HIDs. and my fog light switch is hooked up to the two 100 watt lights on the bump bar. so right now my high beams and low beams are backwards. so my daytime runners are both the high beams and the fogs.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's only a rewiring of the system away.

You would need to connect the light green wire w/ black tracer and the dark green wire w/ white tracer at the BCM. Here's the tricky part though. If you cut the light green w/ black tracer wire, it will disable your DRLs in the conventional sense. Then, cut the dark green wire w/ white tracer. Both cuts need to be sufficiently away from the BCM so that you can do the rest of the crimping or soldering necessary. Now, using diodes on both wires such that current can only flow away from the BCM into the freshly cut dark green wire w/ white tracer. You will put the diodes on each of the wires from the BCM and connect it to the harness side of the dark green w/ white tracer. Tape up the harness side of the light green w/ black tracer wire. This will effectively give you full strength fog DRLs.

The dark green wire w/ white tracer is the fog relay control wire. The light green wire w/ black tracer is the DRL & headlamp grounding relay controls.

From the wiring diagrams I have, this would be true for the 99+ non-ZR2. For 98 non-ZR2s, the DRL & headlight grounding relay control wire was just green w/ black tracer, not light green w/ black tracer like the newer ones were.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran

that doesn't sound completely awful I will have to try this this weekend. and let you guys know how it goes

Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hmmm I like this idea. let us know how you make out, and document it. I might do it myself!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM
BF Veteran

sisk do you have it so your fog lights stay on with your high beams? or does it just look like your high beams are on?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone try this yet?

Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 PM
BF Veteran

I ended up putting a piece of tape over the light sensor so my low beams act as my daytime runners

Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road

I bought a kit from Daniel Stern lighting for my Acura that would make your turn signals become DRLs. I sold the car and bought my Blazer before I could get it installed. I'm thinking about trying it out on the Blazer and just disabling the factory DRLs. I haven't had the time to work with it though.

Daniel's website is located at www.danielsternlighting.com. I think the kit he sells you can get direct from http://www.webelectricproducts.com/. It's the DRL-1 universal kit. But Daniel has a lot of other cool things like harness upgrades and HIR bulbs.

Quick Reply: Moving Daytime running lights to fog lights