Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Moving Daytime running lights to fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
It's only a rewiring of the system away.

You would need to connect the light green wire w/ black tracer and the dark green wire w/ white tracer at the BCM. Here's the tricky part though. If you cut the light green w/ black tracer wire, it will disable your DRLs in the conventional sense. Then, cut the dark green wire w/ white tracer. Both cuts need to be sufficiently away from the BCM so that you can do the rest of the crimping or soldering necessary. Now, using diodes on both wires such that current can only flow away from the BCM into the freshly cut dark green wire w/ white tracer. You will put the diodes on each of the wires from the BCM and connect it to the harness side of the dark green w/ white tracer. Tape up the harness side of the light green w/ black tracer wire. This will effectively give you full strength fog DRLs.

The dark green wire w/ white tracer is the fog relay control wire. The light green wire w/ black tracer is the DRL & headlamp grounding relay controls.

From the wiring diagrams I have, this would be true for the 99+ non-ZR2. For 98 non-ZR2s, the DRL & headlight grounding relay control wire was just green w/ black tracer, not light green w/ black tracer like the newer ones were.
I have a similar idea. I want my DRLs to be my parking lights. Is there an equally simple way to do this?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

in for a write up with plenty of pretty pictures

Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The parking lights would be more of a challenge. I believe the circuit is shared with the rear marker lights as well, but haven't looked at the wiring schematics to make sure and don't have the time right now either.