Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

multiple electrical issues all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default multiple electrical issues all of a sudden

Hey All,

AS the thread title says, my Blazer has been hit by multiple issues recently, that seem to be electrical in nature. Wondering if anyone here has experienced any of these?

1) Gas gauge stopped working. Was fine wednesday night, thursday AM it no longer moves when starting the vehicle, and the low fuel indicator light is illuminated. I filled the tank, which had about half a tank when this first happened, and still no movement from the needle. I could maybe learn to live with this if it werent' for the next issue. . . .

2) The trip odometer will reset itself back to 000's automatically if, when starting the vehicle, you hesitate at all as the fuel pump primes, before you turn it to crank over. Always starts right up, but I find that sometimes I don't turn the key over fast enough. The gauge never used to do this, but when it resets, I cannot knwo how many miles I've gone since the last fuel fill.

3) Got a SES light, and took the truck into the dealer for diagnosis. I don't recall the exact codes, but they got a low voltage and high voltage code at some sensors, and didn't believe that both occurred simultaneously. They are planning on chasing a short in the wiring somewhere to try and fix, at this point. I realize that having the actual codes from the OBD system would be helpful, but I'm afraid that I don't have them now.

I'm a little fearful of what the shops diagnostic might point to. Service writes was guessing possible dash cluster even. This is on my low-mile vehicle (24,XXX) which has not indicated any problems up until the other morining, and there were no changes or anything made that might have caused these issues directly.

Any of you had anything similar at all?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

Update if anyone cares:

1) found wires that had been chewed by rodent/mouse at the fuel tank sending unit. Repaired, and the Gas Gauge now works again, and the SES indicating odd voltages at the sending unit, went away.

2) Apparently this is a somewhat common issue, covered by TSB 3777 I think the number was. Having to replace the whole dash cluster. Must have been a coincidence that this problem showed up a little before the other gas gauge problem.

The shop had to spend a lot of time on diagnostics, until they were able to locate and fix the bad wiring on top of the fuel tank. Mice, I do hate them!!!!!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Yea its that time of year when there looking for a warm home . Damd mice , I was changing the oil in a audi and when I went under the vehicle and looked up into the bottom of the engine a mouse was looking back at me . I had to pretty much tear the bottom of the car apart just to change the oil , but I didn't find the mouse again .

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Beginning Member
swedp is on a distinguished road

i always have my cat around