Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Need help with interior LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future
Default Need help with interior LEDs

So I need help on how to switch over all interior accessory lighting that uses the 12v LEDs (window controls, dimmer switch, 4x4 etc.). I've gotten my gauges switched over to the blue LEDs, and I'll be doing my HVAC in the next few days. We tried to solder on the 12v to the power mirror control, and got it all soldered on but then it wouldn't light up. Realizing they were probably polarized we switched it around and it only lit up for a second or so then went dead and we couldn't get it on again. Do you actually have to clear our the old holes to stick the terminals on the bulbs in?
I'm just wondering for those who have it done (kiwi I believe? Pat, I know you have some done too) did you have any issues with soldering them on. How did you do it? I thought there was a how-to written up on it, but I can't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

I've done LED conversions before... Are you using an actual 12v LED, or a lower voltage LED? If you're not using a 12v LED, you NEED to put in a resistor inline with it, or chain a few together to get a sum of 12v.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I'm using the 12v ones. They did send resistors with it, which I found somewhat odd. It would suck if they did require a resistor since I'm pretty sure they won't fit in most of the controls.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Where did you get the LEDs? What kind are they? toss up some part numbers and links and ill walk you through it. I have dont about a 90% conversion, only thing not led is door rockers and AC, and maybe a switch or two.

you should be using the T1 and 394s i believe those are the two that fit everything but the mirror maps and the domes. those are like 912 or something like that.

I will warn you though if you replace your idot lights with LEDs, then DEFINATLY go with the DIMMER ones, my highbeam indicator actually makes it harder for me to see with the highs on, lol!

I also chose to use RED LEDs for better visibility at night.

hope it helps, get those part # up and well go from there.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran

I got them off ebay. I've already replaced my gauge lights (194 bulbs) my HVAC (37 bulbs) and foot well bulbs (194's as well). My problem is with all the other interior lights. I just bought generic 12v LED's. They're tiny...

Here's the ebay posting: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Old 10-22-2009, 05:04 PM

well the biggest issue is that LEDs are directional so you will need to figure out the pinout/in of the device your doing first.

crack it open and snap some pics.

also look over on s10 forum , there is a great write up.

I will asume you have a soldering iron, and know how to properly use it.

my first step would be to test one of those LEDs with a chunk of wire on your battery and make sure they really are 12v LEDs(resitor is built in).

Ex: Unhook the 4x4 switch, crack it open and snap some shots.

it would be good of you to have a multimeter on hand, as this will help you ALOT in finding the direction of the lighting current.

oh yah go to the craft store and get a hot glue gun!

get all your stuff together and post up some pics and ill edit em and walk you through one device, that should get you figured out how to do the rest.

hope it helps!

Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran

Sounds good man. I just put my dash back together, but I'll take some pics either tomorrow or on the weekend if I don't get to it tomorrow.
And I knew I read that write up somewhere! That was a long time ago though. I'll have to go see if I can dig it up on S10F

Old 10-22-2009, 06:03 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i did all of mine minus the door switches. It was fairly easy to do. Pull the switches apart and glue the leds in place. You may need a few to make it look good. For the power i just ran separate wires to the from the fuse panel. If you go that route you will have to drill holes in the switches to run the wires out of.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM

yah if you can, I agree about powering all the leds off of a "lighting bus" type of scenario, that way you can avoid modifing/damaging the original circuits.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:34 AM
BF Veteran

Interesting idea to just run wiring to all of them. I never thought to do that. I'll try and get pics for you tonight.

Quick Reply: Need help with interior LEDs