Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Need to hot-wire fuel pump. HELP

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM
jkplusplus is on a distinguished road
Default Need to hot wire fuel pump. HELP

Hi all, just joined this forum (which considering how much hell this blazer has given me over the years is pretty surprising), and am in dire need of some help.

I've got a 99 blazer, 4.3 4dr 4wd. Two weeks ago it was stolen. It's a long (and ironic) story, but long story short they had the key. They were later arrested, and the truck got impounded about an 1-1/2 away from where I live. So after I paid the $200 impound fee they told me they didn't have the key. So after I paid the $110 towing fee, they dropped it off at my brothers house, (a whopping 12 miles away).

My options were limited, and I was really pressed for time, so I set into the ignition cylinder with a drill and a chisel. Eventually, I was able to hack it up enough that the tumblers came out and I could turn the ignition. I turned it, heard the fuel pump prime, and then tried to start it. It fired up, and then cut off about 2 seconds later. And that's all it's doing. The fuel pump hasn't primed since. Might be the passlock, might be the remote start, or it might be the green and brown wires that were once mounted to the cylinder but didn't survive a misplaced swing of the hammer and are now spliced with nothing to wire them to.

So, my brothers moving in a week, and I need to get this damned thing home to work on it before he does. I'm hoping I can wire a switch direct to the pump to temporarily ignore whatever is keeping it from priming, but I don't know where I can splice into the fuel pump without the BCM shutting it off. Any idea's? I've read lots of posts where people have hotwired their fuel pump, but they never say where they spliced into them at.

Any help is appreciated.

I pulled up the wiring diagram from autozone, and it looks like if I run power to the orange wire running off of the fuse panel it might send power direct to the pump. Maybe. I'll update in a bit after I find out.

Update: Well, my brother found the orange wires coming off the fuse panel. He says there's 4 or 5 orange wires. Assuming their all part of the same circuit I told him to pick one and splice into it and run to the battery. He did, turned the key, and the fuel pump primed. Unfortunately the battery is almost completely dead so when he tried to crank it it just clicked at him. Going to charge it overnight and have him give it another shot, but that fuel pump priming is the first ray of hope I've had with this damned thing in weeks. If it does start, then I'll just wire it to the MAF and be done with it. Again, I'll update when I know more.

Last edited by Thogert; 08-12-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 PM
jkplusplus is on a distinguished road

Well, so much for that. Hotwired the fuel pump, pump it's still killing the spark. Tried hotwiring the ignition cylinder, the ignition control mod, hell, I tried hotwiring everything I could possibly think of, and still nothing. Fires up, then dies after a second. Ironically, after I disconnected the wire I ran to the fuel pump and was calling it a day, I tried turning it again and the fuel pump primed. Without being hotwired, so that was a waste. I started to do the passlock bypass I read online, but when I started to THEN the security light came on. The only time it was coming on before that was when the motor cranked, it would flash 4 or 5 times then go off.

So, it's not the anti-theft, and it is the anti-theft at the same time, which makes no sense to me. Which means, I give up. I've tried all I could, and got nowhere. Calling the scrap yard this week to come haul it away. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I suppose.