Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

New Blazer Ventalation system

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 03:40 PM
Michael R is on a distinguished road
Question New Blazer Ventalation system

Discovered a minor issue with the way the "Air Recirculation" System works. Drove by a landfill and a dead skunk in the road and after selecting the "Air Recirculation Switch" the odors from the exterior world stayed in the vehicle as opposed to being shut out and subsequently filtered out in short order (within 2 minutes).
Took it to the dealer and after a full day in the shop, the verdict was the system was working - No problem found. Brought it home, took a close look myself - System does not work as GM Describes it. "Recirculation is only available if the defrost mode is not active."
There are three basic modes which can be selected individually or any combination together - Defrost mode, Console Vent mode, or Foot vent mode. At the dealership at a second visit for this issue, it was confirmed my vehicle and a new one from the lot worked in the same manner. With the "Defrost Mode" not active, the only mode that the air dam will close is in the "Console Vent Mode" and does not close 1% when the "Foot Vent Mode" (alone) is selected. It was also confirmed that with the air dam closed and "Defrost" is activated, the air dam will open 100%. This they interpreted as working as designed and therefore nothing can or will be done.
After 40+ years working in, servicing, and programming control systems in industry and 10 years prior to that working as an electronics technician on US Navy combat aircraft, trust me when I say I may know when something is working properly or not.
Does anyone have an avenue to discuss such issues with GM technical ?

Old 03-31-2021, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

All automotive HVAC systems allow some outside air in when they are set to recirculate. And I'm pretty sure it's normal to allow fresh air in when defrosting. If you want the least outside air possible, set it to come out of the dash vents, as you have already figured out.

Last edited by Tom A; 04-02-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:03 PM
Default Air Ventalation System

Thanx for your reply and input. The one thing that puzzles me is that if one pulls the filter so you can see the door open and close with Defrost Mode NOT active, the door closes (100%) when the Console Vent Mode is selected and opens (100%) when deselected; when the Foot Vent Mode (heating mode, not defrosting) is selected the door will not close (even partially). If both modes Console Vent and Foot Vent are activated (with the Defrost deselected), engaging the Air Recirculation closes the door 100%. So the way I interpret the GM statement regarding partial (90%) closing does not hold water.
I have owned several cars over the last 50 years and ever since they started the "Air Recirculation" system, I have never encountered a design as this. This afternoon I went out and checked my pickup truck (Ford) and it certainly Recirculates the air in any mode. Maybe that's not fair but it is what it is and representative of how many cars on the road operate.
Got word from the dealer today that after contacting GM technical support staff that they do not recognize any design fault here and are not going to offer to look at the issue. Just checked with my son who owns a different GM product and it closes off outside air when the Foot vent mode is selected and Defrost is deselected. Sure am glad this is not a safety related item otherwise I might be tempted to seek satisfaction under the Lemon Law or something similar.
IMHO this system (air ventalation) did not receive proper scrutiny during the Quality Control Checks during or post design phases. GM refuses to acknowledge an issue exist or even entertain and follow-up on input from a dealer or customer. Tis a sad day for the American consumer and even sadder day for GM and on-going sales potential. They are definitely not getting a Christmas Card from me this year (if you get my drift).

Last edited by Michael R; 04-01-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:52 AM

Tom, Can you please explain the meaning of your last sentence - "Seriously, this is a first world problem."
I've never heard that expression before.

Old 04-02-2021, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

That comment was probably uncalled for. I edited it out.

Old 04-04-2021, 10:05 AM

OK. I just never heard that before.