Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

No Brake Lights After Trailer Haul

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Beginning Member
GregadetH is on a distinguished road
Default No Brake Lights After Trailer Haul

Hi all! I'm having an issue with my 97 4X4 Blazers brake lights. They stopped working after hauling a trailer last Sunday. All three of 'em. Headlights work, tail lights work, back up lights work. The buzzer alarm doesn't work, nor do the hazards or turn signals - EXCEPT the turn signals do work if the hazards are engaged. All the fuses are good. The wiring harness, ignition switch, multi-switch and starter were all replaced less than a year ago.

Now...all that being said, this started while hauling a trailer. Could the harness be shorted out? I'm absolutely lost. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Greg

Last edited by GregadetH; 01-16-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

try wiggling the hazard switch. see if this fixes your issues. Then start checking the trailer plug harness and the harness behind the tail lights.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks!
When I wiggle the switch, the right turn signal blinks and the buzzer works but still no brake lights. it's raining pretty hard at the moment so I'll have to re-check the harnesses in the morning.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:47 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

sounds like the hazard switch is the issue.

ITs either the hazard switch or the multifunction switch. Id pull the hazard switch to see if the connection is clean and not melted.

This is how you remove it. Broken Hazard Switch Repair How-to - Car Forums and Automotive Chat

What you do is get a very fine screw driver and pry the back end of it gently so the lock tab gets pushed. Gently pull the switch and she should slide out.

Crappy picture but you can see the lock tab from here.

Attached Thumbnails No Brake Lights After Trailer Haul-pict1405.jpg  
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again for the reply. I'll go pull the hazard switch and check the connection. I hope it's not the multi-switch. That thing's less than a year old.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 PM
BF Guru

Ahh what brand did you put? The aftermarket brands are really flimsey and cheap.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

I asked for OEM original parts, but now I think I may have gotten duped.

I removed the switch and then a spring (I assume?) flew out into the darkness never to be seen again. lol
The connections look clean, but flimsy and worn out on the plastic post (a red, one piece component). I managed to place it back in to where I have working flashers at least. I guess I'll buy a new switch and hope that's all it is. If not I'll google how to replace the mutli-switch.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM
BF Guru

They sell the hazard switch replacement... They List them under 98 + but it really works for 95 +

Make sure to buy an oem one and not that flimsey after market crap.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Beginning Member

Gonna hit up the dealership near my work tomorrow. Hopefully it's in stock. I'll post my progress tomorrow night. Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM
BF Guru

Sounds good . Dealers normally stock them.. Remember 98 +

Quick Reply: No Brake Lights After Trailer Haul