Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

No dash lights, compass issue please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member
Riggsy14 is on a distinguished road

I've got the same problem, dash lights, compass/temp won't work, factory radio wouldnt light up imma try a new switch also

Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Beginning Member
Riggsy14 is on a distinguished road

Did ur compass work when u turned ur key to ACC mode?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
Eldawg is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nepa zr2
I have a minor dilemma with my electrical system in my blazer. Its a 2001 zr2 ls trim. The problem I have is that I have no lights on my dash or roof compass. Idiot lights(check engine, seat-belt etc) lights work on the cluster but the back-lights to the gauges do not light up. It makes driving in the dark a pain as I cannot see my speed. The HVAC controls are also dark where they used to light up. Same goes for the back-lights on the dimmer control switch.

Next issue is the compass, not sure if it is related but I believe it is. When driving during the day the compass light is on an works correctly. Once the headlights come on the compass goes off. If I manually turn the headlights off the indicator comes back on. Ive seen other threads around where people have had similar issues but no fixes.

Things I have tried so far:
-Check fuses

Any help is appreciated.
Hi all... I have the exact same problem that ZR2 had.

1999 Blazer 4dr 4X4 - my dash lights and the compass display all won't work with the headlights on. So I figured dimmer switch like suggested here. So I went to Parts Source grabbed a new one and changed it out...voila everything was back to normal... this was about a week ago...

Today I hop in the truck after work and bloody heck the dimmer switch is blown AGAIN within a week of being replaced... I find it pretty odd to blow 2 dimmer switches and having the 2nd blow so quickly... any thoughts anyone?

I can't really imagine a bad ground... the dash lights aren't flashing or pulsing or anything while they work... there is no indication that there is a problem until suddenly all at once they stop working again...

I thought I saw something while searching the web about aftermarket radios and dimmer switches in these things... I do have an aftermarket stereo in the truck, but I'm not sure if anyone has heard any issues with this?

Thanks for any help folks!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 PM
andrewhere7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the time on a 2001 the emergency brake is just nearly engaged andshuts off dash lights. This can happen with out brake light on dash being on, so before you change a dimmer switch for this problem try lifting up on the peddle while pulling the break release handle.