Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

No power in car after leaving parking spot.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member
Handy is on a distinguished road
Default No power in car after leaving parking spot.

This seems like a specific problem and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what's going on.
One day I decided to try and go somewhere.
The car started up fine.
I pull out of my parking spot and make a turn. (I backed into my parking spot and it was a left turn if that's important.)
The car dies. Like completely. No power at all. I turn the key to try to get it to do something but nothing.
I noticed that when I wiggle the steering wheel I get some power but not enough to get the car started again. So I'm assuming there's a short somewhere around there. I'm guessing the starter switch.

Before this I was having a problem starting the car. Probably related? I thought it was the fuel pump. Could still be. The issue with that was if I started the car after a few hours it would start fine. But if I killed it and tried to start it again it would give me trouble with the starting. I took the starter switch out to see if I was having a problem in that area but the switch looked new. I'm not sure if it is but I know the guy I bought it from changed the steering wheel. After taking out the starter switch the car wasn't giving me starting problems.

The power issued, I believe, started one day after I put gas and tried to start the car and the power went out completely. I just disconnected the battery and checked the connectors and reconnected them and it started like normal.

The battery is brand new. The starter looks old but I think I remember the guy saying he changed it. I bought it in Feb 2020. I don't have any idea. I also have a suspicion that the radio is causing it because sometimes the radio shuts off until I pull the fuse. I don't know about that.

Any ideas?

Old 12-08-2021, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

You need to be ready to take some measurements when it won’t start or there is no power with the key in the first position. Do you have a digital meter and know how to use it?

So to clarify, it will crank but not run or it won’t even crank?

George

Old 12-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member

It won't crank. It'll sometimes have a bit of power in the first position if I wiggle the steering wheel but wont crank. I have a multimeter and know how to use it for basic things.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:19 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Handy
It won't crank. It'll sometimes have a bit of power in the first position if I wiggle the steering wheel but wont crank. I have a multimeter and know how to use it for basic things.
What year is your truck?

What do you mean that "it will have a bit of power". It cranks a little or you see some gauge movement for a while, interior lights, etc?

When it wont crank measure the voltage on both sides of the crank fuse in the UHFB while trying to crank.

George

Old 12-08-2021, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member

My truck's year is 2004.

You see some gauge movement for a while, interior lights, etc?
This.

Old 12-08-2021, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Handy
My truck's year is 2004.

This.
I suspect the ignition switch or the steering column wiring but lets diagnosis it first starting with that crank fuse measurement

George

Old 12-08-2021, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member

Gotcha, I'll check it tomorrow. I'll have to put everything back in.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:58 PM
Beginning Member

With the CRANK fuse I'm not getting any measurements.

I put everything back together and was able to start the car after some troubleshooting.

I was getting the same problems until i unplugged the instrument panel and radio.

Had to reconnect the battery with the radio unplugged. Now I'm able to start the car. But the instrument panel doesn't light up. The blinkers work though.

Checked all of the fuses but I'm not getting anything from the Illum fuse which I assume is the instrument panel lighting. I'm also not getting anything from the crank fuse with the car started. Am I supposed to check it while cranking?

Old 12-09-2021, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran

You will only see 12v at the crank fuse when the starter is cranking (ignition key in momentary start position). The next time it wont crank check the voltage on both sides of the IGN C fuse. I'll give you some more debug procedures for your other problems when I am at my computer tonight.

George

Old 12-09-2021, 06:29 PM
Beginning Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick reply.

Quick Reply: No power in car after leaving parking spot.