Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

no start frustration

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Beginning Member
d w schaefer is on a distinguished road
Default no start frustration

My 2001 Blazer has some starting issue(s). Lately, whenever I turn the ignition key I get no response at all except for a single click of the relay. Battery is okay and, as far as I can tell, the starter appears okay. When turning the switch I hear no sound what-so-ever from the starter solenoid. After trying to start the Blazer for a while with no luck except for the relay click it will turn over and start without a problem. It had this problem a while back and then this problem stopped for about 3 or 4 months. Any clues as to what I should look for?

Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Given the failure rate of ignition switches around here, I would start by disconnecting the ignition switch wiring under the steering column and testing the circuits in the various key positions. Wiring diagrams can be found in my signature below.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:23 PM
USBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Same issue

I’m having the same issue right now w/ my 02 blazer seems worse when it’s cold. Truck starts and runs normally most of the time but occasionally it will try to start and then it will IMMEDIATELY stop and the truck will have zero electrical power, nothing take the key out put the key in try again still nothing hook it up to a jump pack and it usually starts. When I do have the issue the truck will try to stall out or stall out all together when I take my foot off the accelerator completely. That problem usually goes away after a good 10 minute drive. Trucks 17 years old so I’m sure there are other problems but I’m sure at this point whatever is preventing the truck from starting is 100% electrical because of the way the entire truck goes dead when the problem occours. I’ve been told to check my groundstrap for looseness or corrosion. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Cody

Old 02-28-2019, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member

Much obliged for the info. After searching for an answer I am still not understanding the problem. I have come across the symptoms of a bad ignition switch but my Blazer does not stall out and I hear the "click" of the relay clearly. I would think that a defective ignitions switch would not send power to the relay and cause this click. I would think, instead, that nothing would work and I would hear no sounds at all. I am not particularly good with automotive electrical systems to be able to diagnose this problem Your advice is appreciated.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:23 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I would kinda think it is the starter and or solenoid... Just a guess from me though...

Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Test and eliminate possibilities. I would love to tell every single person that comes here one precise thing that is the source of their problem, but that is not possible.You have to diagnose the issue yourself or take it to someone that can.

I recommended starting at the ignition switch because over the years MANY people have chased around replacing parts only to find that the ignition switch was faulty. I will not recommend part replacement as others will, only diagnosis as it is the only sure fire way to the root cause of your issue without blowing tons of cash & time consuming frustration. There are 7 or so contacts inside the ignition switch that run a multitude of different things which could explain your clicking relay observation. Have you confirmed that it is the starter relay that is clicking?

If you think it is the starter or the solenoid, then start by testing +12V, ground, and solenoid signal at the starter. To say it is definitively this or that is naive and foolish.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Test and eliminate possibilities. I would love to tell every single person that comes here one precise thing that is the source of their problem, but that is not possible.You have to diagnose the issue yourself or take it to someone that can.

I recommended starting at the ignition switch because over the years MANY people have chased around replacing parts only to find that the ignition switch was faulty. I will not recommend part replacement as others will, only diagnosis as it is the only sure fire way to the root cause of your issue without blowing tons of cash & time consuming frustration. There are 7 or so contacts inside the ignition switch that run a multitude of different things which could explain your clicking relay observation. Have you confirmed that it is the starter relay that is clicking?

If you think it is the starter or the solenoid, then start by testing +12V, ground, and solenoid signal at the starter. To say it is definitively this or that is naive and foolish.
As you might expect, this intermittent problem remains that way. Lately, despite cold weather the Blazer is starting fine. I do suspect the starter to be the cause. Unfortunately, whenever the no-start problem occurs I am going somewhere and have no time to test it. I will put a VM on the starter whenever this happens again. Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Testing the ignition switch can show you an issue simply based off of circuit resistance. There should be next to no resistance on the various switched circuits in the ignition switch. If you find a relatively high resistance or a resistance that changes from activation to activation, you have a problem with the switch.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Am I missing some information on your description of no start? You said hear a click of relay and nothing? When it starts as normal do you get the whole startup cycle- dash panel light checks come and go, hear the fuel pump energize, stuff like that? When you get this no start condition do any of the other normal startup functions occur like dash check lights? I’m in the camp of ignition switch if none of the other regular startup routine occur when this condition happens. The only time I’ve personally seen just a click and nothing working randomly was with battery connection on my sons beater and you said battery and starter appear ok.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:17 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for our interest in this. I recall only that when my wife turned the key to start the headlamps were on. I hit the override button to turn them off to avoid battery drain. I do not recall whether-or-not any of the dash lights were on or if the fuel pump energized. All I really recall was the click of the relay and turning off the headlamps. I pulled the fuse box cover to confirm it was the start relay that gave an audible click. We tried to start the Blazer without success for about 10 minutes before it actually started. This problem repeated itself twice again that day but since then it has not occurred. I intend to run a jumper from the + battery terminal to the "S" solenoid terminal to find out if this will start it. This will be all that I can do because with two replaced knees I cannot kneel outside the Blazer to check the ignition switch circuits. It will have to go to the repair shop following this. Suffice it to say your advice is very much welcomed.

Quick Reply: no start frustration