Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

no start frustration

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

I feel your pain on the knees. Similar boat but not done anything to fix em yet. Got one of those creepers at the local W-Mart that converts to folding stool, quite handy with bad knees, rolls well on concrete, good value for home use. Watch for next time this issue crops up to see what is still working when that key is turned like if you had heater on last time is it still blowing or if radio was on and resumes play. If those items still operate it would help narrow down probable cause and find a solution. Example, if those items work maybe the transmission switch is faulty telling the computer truck is in gear and thus no crank on starter. A quick forum search on terms like no turnover or no crank/ no start gives quite a few hits with details on what was occurring and how they fixed it. Keep at it, let board know if you get it fixed and how, helps others in future.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:30 AM
Beginning Member
d w schaefer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
I feel your pain on the knees. Similar boat but not done anything to fix em yet. Got one of those creepers at the local W-Mart that converts to folding stool, quite handy with bad knees, rolls well on concrete, good value for home use. Watch for next time this issue crops up to see what is still working when that key is turned like if you had heater on last time is it still blowing or if radio was on and resumes play. If those items still operate it would help narrow down probable cause and find a solution. Example, if those items work maybe the transmission switch is faulty telling the computer truck is in gear and thus no crank on starter. A quick forum search on terms like no turnover or no crank/ no start gives quite a few hits with details on what was occurring and how they fixed it. Keep at it, let board know if you get it fixed and how, helps others in future.
I will check this out with more incite whenever the problem pops up again. I hope that this will be soon so that I can get to the reason for this problem but it is bitterly cold out now and I don't really want to deal with it now until warmer weather. Whenever I can find out why this is happening I will post it as you suggest.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:48 AM
Beginning Member

Yesterday the problem arose again. This time,however, I noted that when the ignition switch was on the dash lights, headlamps, heater blower motor, etc. were on. No sound from the starter. The relay click was still heard when turning the switch. I jacked up the Blazer to attach a jumper from the battery to the solenoid but before I did this I tried to wiggle the solenoid wire to determine if it was loose. It was tight so once again I tried the ignition switch. This time the Blazer started and the jumper was not needed. I will get lucky one of these days and will be able to make the jump between battery and solenoid "S" terminal.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Starting Member

You personally lean pretty strongly towards starter solenoid being the culprit of the no turn over condition. It’s not a costly part if want to eliminate that from the equation at avg of $20-$25. Seeing all the other items that are active when the key is in run does reduce the possible things to cause this. As I mentioned there is also a “sensor” that lets car know its in either park or neutral so its safe to turn over engine. Next time it occurs, try putting it in neutral and see if that changes status (I’m assuming automatic transmission). Seems to be less likely the ignition key tumbler at fault by noting everything else that did activate. Intermittent problems are a real hassle to fix, I know personally from experience when I was an electronic engineering technician that being able to duplicate the problem was half the battle so you could then find and apply the solution otherwise it’s best educated guess and process of elimination.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Beginning Member

I do suspect a problem with the solenoid but am open to other possibilities. I am not all that familiar with automotive electrical systems and do not understand how a solenoid could fail one time and work for a while without failing again. If I am correct, it is an electromagnet and I believe it should either activate or not. In regards to putting the transmission in neutral, we have tried that as well with no positive result. The problem will eventually get worse to the extent that we can solve it but it is frustrating in the mean time. BTW, can a relay get "weak" over time and send the right amount of current to the solenoid?

Old 03-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Starting Member

Simple answer yes. The contacts that close the circuit get carboned up from the electrical arc and conduct the electric flow poorly. The coil that energizes can have the windings deteriorate which pulls the contact with less force again results in poor electricial flow. Generally all of this and few other descriptions like the contact plate hangs or sticks when trying to close or open causes problems so repair wise most people just say its sticking or gone bad because they just do wear out. Add in the vibrations from driving, water and dirt, heat, cold - need I say more? Even the temperature or humidity can effect a part that’s compromised. Your issue is will not crank or turn over intermittently. So far sounds like a compromised selenoid/relay.
Thinking about it the number of times I have heard or read someone just tapping on a relay type part with a hammer gets it working for even a while is quite high. “Love tap” some would say.
At this point you could just go with you gut and replace the starter selenoid and see if problem stays away/fixed. It is not a real costly part or go on a limb and change out the whole starter/starter selenoid assembly. (Yes, starters can be intermittent too- electrical brushes on stator wear out, windings burn out, etc) If issue returns then you need to look elsewhere obviously at some other electrical item that is related to cranking the engine over. In the end it all amounts to time, money and effort which only you can determine. You can do it, questions ask- plenty of helpful folks here.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:01 AM
Beginning Member

The more info I get seems to lead to more questions as well as new direction into this issue. I will get to the bottom of the no-start problem eventually with the help of a lot of informed Blazer cats. Thanks again for your help. I will let you now how the problem was solved whenever I get there.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Willey is on a distinguished road

I had this issue with my 86 blazer. I tried replacing the starter and the relay and neither worked. I have a 24v system and even though my batteries had a good charge, I charged them both and my truck started cranking. I still have an issue with it not starting when it's cold out, but when it's warm it starts right up.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:51 AM
Beginning Member

I have gone through battery issues in the past but have not had any problems for quite a while. The no-crank situation has gone away since my last tweet. Whenever I turn the key I hope that the problem will not re-visit me at a most inopportune time. Like your Blazer, the warmer weather may bring out the best in mine too. Anyway,if the solenoid is the problem it will show up sometime in the future. I believe that with all of the previous information I have gotten about this problem I will be able to figure out what is actually going on.