Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Off-Road lights mounted behind grille or undercarriage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM
michigan_engineering is on a distinguished road
Default Off-Road lights mounted behind grille or undercarriage?

Hey guys,
I've searched and found a few people on zr2usa.com with lights mounted behind the grille.
This got me thinking, and I would like to do this setup. I have a blaZeR2, and need more off-road lighting, but I don't really like the look of lightbars or brush gaurd lights. What do you all think of mounting some lights behind the grill or hidden under the body/frame?
My only concern is how much light would actually be useful or visible from under the truck...

Any and all suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated =]

Old 07-23-2009, 02:53 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'm considering doint the same thing, behind the grille though. I've seen someone on here with it. Honestly, as long as the light isn't hiding behind the chrome strip of the grille, you'll probably have enough light shining through.

Just need help wiring it up... I've never done anything like this and know I should have a relay and ground it to the body, but where should I grab my power?
I can either have it run with my hi-beams, or setup a switch in the cab... what would be easier?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM
michigan_engineering is on a distinguished road

Yea, i've decided behind the grill would be best.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

I have seen them behind the grill & will say it has a clean look my buddy had his ZR2 like that looked good but he said worked great for on road but after off roading at night he put them on his bumper said it was not enuff light were he needed it. Good luck

Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

THis may be a project for the summer, I don't have a source of income during the school year so my mods this summer are pretty well going to be done after I get a hold of a K&N cone filter for my custom CAI.

But when I do... should I go with four lights all hooked up to a toggle switch? I'm going for ridiculously bright lol.

I'll probably need a relay too eh?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
TMoney4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default lights

what were the kind of lights u guys decided to mount uned the grill?