Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Overdrive indicator light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Overdrive indicator light?

Am I the only one that has difficulty knowing whether in 3rd or 4th gear? My red indicator on shift console is out of whack and can hardly be seen. Even so, with the angle of that clear plastic....it shows too much glare, especially with the sunroof open, and I just can't see it often anyways. As for by feel, well...no. The armrest is so curved that there is no good reference point. I can feel a light rear end; I can feel new tires just by sitting in a stationary vehicle; I can feel my underwear start to gimp just by thinking about it; but I can't always feel if I'm in OD or not........ughh. There is no indicator light on the dash, either.

**** Is there an OD light on the dash?
**** Has anyone installed one?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is not an overdrive light on the dash. I haven't tried it in a long time, but I do believe that most scan tools can monitor the transmission gear. Getting that information to you reliably/economically could be interesting. All of that data is in the serial communications between modules which needs to be monitored, interpreted, and displayed. Lesmyer has done a lot of work regarding custom PID options using cheap bluetooth scantool adapters and apps for smart phones. He might be able to direct you in how to accomplish this.

If it were me, I'd just take note of the RPM watching it fall with each shift as you increase speed. I used to have a little wired gauge (ultragauge I think), but I'm not sure if it would display the operating gear. I'd have to see if I could find it to try it again.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Starting Member
TonyZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.