Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Passlock, combination flasher buzzing, short somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Starting Member
j6r7a is on a distinguished road
Default Passlock, combination flasher buzzing, short somewhere

Let me start by saying, my daughter borrowed my Blazer so I haven't been behind the wheel with it running in about 2 years. Long story short, I didn't get it back until the local sheriff called and told me I had to remove it from private property or it would be towed. So...........

99 Chevy Blazer 4 door LS 4.6 6 cyl

I then called my daughter and asked what was wrong with it. Simple answer, it won't start. So I grab some tools and start checking things out and I came to the conclusion that is was the passlock system. I tried the learning thing several times before I decided to grab a trailer and haul it home to work on it. Once home I tried the passlock learning thing a few more times. Frustrated I decided to think on it for a while, meaning spending a lot of time on Google for the next couple weeks. I found instructions to cut, tap and splice the wires to disable the passlock system. Pulled it apart and wow the bypass was already done. The battery had been getting drained from the multiple attempts to crank it so while I had it disconnected to pull the steering column apart I put the charger on it. When I went to hook the negative terminal up it sparked a little more than usual. So I get in, turn the key and nothing but a click. I put the battery charger on it again and there was a loud buzzing from under the dash somewhere. I finally got the glove box out of the way and found the combination flasher buzzing. When listening closer i could hear a slight clicking from the rear of the truck. I sounded like somebody was pushing the tailgate unlock button repeatedly. I then pulled the negative cable off and grabbed the tester. Running the tester from the negative cable to the negative post, the test light was showing current. That tells me I have a dead short somewhere I believe.

I had no idea which direction to turn then I remembered I was a member of this forum. Wish I would have started here. Any ideas what I should check or change or beat with a sledge hammer? Thanks in advance for any info or advice you give.

Joe