Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Stuck and pulled! A winning combination.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:00 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stuck and pulled! A winning combination.

The other night I had just finished my home made posi-lock for my son`s blazer. He was out of town on a soccer trip.

Well, after finishing the posi-lock, I knew I needed to test it out by taking it through some mud. After all, I wouldn`t want to send my son out thinking it was gonna stay in 4WD just to have it fail now would I? heehee

So, off I went to a familiar spot. Please note that it had been raining all day long. Not hard, but hard enough to make the mud stand up and shout my name.

I headed down the little level B minimum maintenance road. I got about half way through when I realized I could go no further. Someone had been in there before me and cut ruts too deep for my son`s little truck.

I was barely able to get turned around on the skinny, single-lane path, but I managed to get pointed back the other way. Going only about 5-8 mph, I made my way back from where I came from.

But, suddenly the truck slid to the left toward a 3.5` deep ditch with 12" of water in it.

Have you every noticed how off-roading is a lot of fun interupted by brief moments of total panic?

My driver side front and rear tires were about a foot from the edge of the ditch. I hopped out and looked all around the truck seeing whether I should continue forward or go in reverse. Reverse for sure.

I backed up about 4` when the front end decided to slide closer to the ditch. So, I clicked her into 4WD low and eased her forward again only to have the front end slip ever so much closer.

There was no way I was going to put my son`s truck into that ditch...no way!

So, I put it in reverse. With the brakes on hard, I lightly pressed the accelerator and began to release the brakes just a little. But it was no use, Every time the front wheels would rotate at all, the front end would slide.

I finally parked it and walked out to the highway and found a farm house about a 1/4 mile down.

You`re gonna love this part. I rang the doorbell and a lady came to the door. She had a funny smile on her face. She then said to me, "Was that you out driving on the road?" I smiled and then laughed and said, "Yep."

She said, "Are you stuck?" Again, I said, "Yep." She turned into the door way and yelled, "Honey!" Her husband came to the kitchen and they invited me in.

It took some persuading, but he finally agreed to come help pull me out. Man, he had the biggest 1970`s era GMC fullsize 4 door 4WD Suburban I`ve seen in a long time. We were sliding all over the place in that huge tank. I was so glad it wasn`t a Ford (cough). lol

But that and 3 tow straps and I was back on the road.

Sorry, no pictures. I forgot the camera.

My son came home from his soccer trip and laughed as I told him the story. Good times!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Stuck and pulled! A winning combination.

Haha, nice story. Glad all went well.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:49 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice, Remember always bring the cam! Quick question do you have a g80 locker in the blazer? Im wondering if a g80 makes a big difference.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like fun! Although I think you shoulda backed up a bit farther, got up some more momentum, and tried to pass it...you made it down didnt you?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Great story! As for the G80 helping in this situation, I doubt it. Once you start sliding a locker doesn't really help, particulary up front. I know this from experience.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 AM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, no G80 locker.

WolfPack...heh...it was a tough call. When I was pressing the gas pedal, the truck made more ground sliding to the side then the distance I was making backing up. So, yes I made it 4 feet back, but then it slipped further and I was right on the edge. Scary! []

Maybe it's because I'm new to all this. You guys probably would have given it the gas in reverse and pulled out with no problem. I just lack the experience to try these moves...yet. hahahaha

95Blzr...I know, I know...ALWAYS bring the camera. I know better and still forgot. I`ve got 3 of em around here and didn`t grab even 1. [:'(]