Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Prostart Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 06:34 PM
Bluearc74 is on a distinguished road
Default Prostart Install

Hey all .I've probably installed about 6 remote starts in my life I am a instrument tech and electrician by trade so most the stuff comes pretty easy to me. I have purchased a 2 way prostart system for my kids truck for Christmas and will be installing it for him. I've always had great luck with these systems in the past. I do see people recommending different bypass modules as well as other recommendations. So this is what I've got so far:

Vehicle is 2003 Chev s10
Remote start is Prostart model 034-0793-2 from Canadian Tire. That's their product number It's the regular 2way remote start
So any recommendations on bypass module Also I'm sure I'm gonna need to buy some relays for locks
I had called prostart and told them that I will be installing one of their starters and they said I would need a BM4 bypass module I believe it was. Would anyone not recommend their bypass modules

Anymore feedback to get me prepared for an easy install on this would be appreciated! Cheers

Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I used to install remote starters professionally for 5 years, but that was 10 years ago. I used to install a sibling brand to Prostart and they are decent. I've installed quite a few Prostarts as well, and never had any problems with them. I have no problems with their bypass modules either. What you need is a module that will work with Passlock II (the security system in your son's truck). As for the locks, it depends on what lock outputs your starter has. Some have both +12v and -12v outputs. If it is only -12v then yes you will need relays (assuming your truck has power locks). The factory system is a +12v trigger for the factory relays.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 AM
Bluearc74 is on a distinguished road
Default Prostart install

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
I used to install remote starters professionally for 5 years, but that was 10 years ago. I used to install a sibling brand to Prostart and they are decent. I've installed quite a few Prostarts as well, and never had any problems with them. I have no problems with their bypass modules either. What you need is a module that will work with Passlock II (the security system in your son's truck). As for the locks, it depends on what lock outputs your starter has. Some have both +12v and -12v outputs. If it is only -12v then yes you will need relays (assuming your truck has power locks). The factory system is a +12v trigger for the factory relays.

Great thanks for the info. I was reading on some of these modules and am I confused or do they not only bypass the security but also do they not have the required relays for the locks? I had read one post where all the guy needed was the remote start and the bypass /interface module.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bluearc74
Great thanks for the info. I was reading on some of these modules and am I confused or do they not only bypass the security but also do they not have the required relays for the locks? I had read one post where all the guy needed was the remote start and the bypass /interface module.
I'm not familiar with the model of remote starter you are using, but for mine (a Viper by DEI) the starter module has both + and - outputs for the locks, so I was able to install it without any additional relays. If your starter is capable of outputting either + or - then you will not need additional relays either. Just have to check the install manual for your starter to find that out. You can find a wiring guide for our trucks on the12volt.com which will give you location, colour, and polarity for each of the wires needed to install a remote start and/or security system.