Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Radio and DIC Intermittent; Ignition Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough
Default Radio and DIC Intermittent; Ignition Switch?

Hi all,

I haven't done much fixing on any of the rigs lately. Working a lot this time of year will do that for me. However, now that I've got a little bit more free time I'm digging into a problem with my wife's 2000 Blazer. Sometime over the summer she started having a problem where power to the radio and driver information center would cut out and come back on randomly. I ignored the problem for months as I was busy with other things like earning money. Now, however, the power issue has become more serious and it's off most of the time. My wife can't listen to her Taylor Swift CDs and that has become some sort of crisis.

I took the radio out and checked the power going to it. Constant power was just fine. Accessory power, however, was intermittent and variable. Voltage would fluctuate from approximately 6.0V to 1.8V. I looked at the circuit and there are two things on that circuit: the radio and the driver information center. I checked power at the DIC and found the same thing. I traced the circuit back to the fuse. The fuse was good and showed the same voltage fluctuation. The next thing upstream in the circuit is the ignition switch. I didn't pull the steering column apart to check the ignition switch.

Before I pull everything apart I wanted to know if this is a known failure mode of the ignition switch. It's the only thing in circuit 1301 that seems that it could cause this problem. What do you think?