Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

?? Regarding underglow LED

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Beginning Member
Eraston is on a distinguished road
Default ?? Regarding underglow LED

Hey there blazers, hoping someone can answer this really quick question..

I bought a LED underglow kit for my blazer and i am curious about the wires before i go wiring anything.

The wires it comes with:

Black: Ground
Blue: Alarm (optional)
ReD: Positive (12v - ignition)
Yellow: Negative

now the instructions show that the red (pos) goes to the ignitio(i guess so they only work when the car is on?) but i dont want that, can i wire it straight to the positive on the battery instead?

thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

You can, but then they will ALWAYS be on (even when they vehicle is off). You're better off wiring to a switch inside and then to the battery. That way you can turn it on and off as you please, and it also avoids any trouble you might get with the police.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

x2 ^^with a toggle switch you won't run your battery down, and it's a lot easier to wire up.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Yep run it from the battery to a switch. That way you can turn them on and off when you like. Just watch the cops, dont know what color you have but esp. if they're blue.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Yeah...cops will definitely frown upon the blue underglow lol. They don't like any of it (any color is illegal here) but usually they'll let anything but blue slide...

Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Why does blue anger them so much?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

Red, blue, and yellow are all considered emergency vehicle colors and are illegal.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I would be looking into red if I ever decided to get any....

Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 PM
R3MiX is on a distinguished road

down here, you can run red underglow lights, as long as the actual light source is not visible, especially to the front of the vehicle. your also allowed to have any color lights up front, except red. its strictly reserved for emergency vehicles.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by wlorton
Why does blue anger them so much?
Any sort of external blue lighting is illegal just about everywhere because Blue is commonly related to police and police vehicles. They are some of the only ones that can have Blue/Red light combo's on their vehicles.
Red is also hated, but not as much since it's more commonly used. Short of the story is they hate it because it may confuse people into thinking it's a cop car.

Quick Reply: ?? Regarding underglow LED