Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Remote Start Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote Start Install questions

Hey everyone,

I've been looking through the remote starter w/keyless entry system that I bought trying to figure out where to find all the wires and what gets hooked up to which wire. I just have a couple questions.

The system I have has a wire designated as Factory Alarm Arm Output (-). I've looked at different wiring diagrams and cannot find this specific wire. Is it possible this is the Orange/Black(-) wire associated with the ANTI-THEFT system. That's all I could think it is, but wanted to check first.

On the same lines of the question above, the system I bought also has a Factory Alarm Disarm Output(-). With these two, do I still need an OEM bypass module? If so, can someone briefly explain why it is using both? Seems a little controversial to me ha ha.

If I do need a bypass module does this work?

Lastly, wiring diagrams give me the location of the power L/UL wires. The system I bought can retain the driver door priority, but this should mean I cannot use the power unlock from the BCM, Brown Plug because that would unlock all doors correct? So how can I keep the driver door priority? (I do have a second unlock wire off the new system for the rest of the vehicle).

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Few things, First, How are you connecting? Splicing, poke and wrap, tape only, soldering?

ignore the factory arm and disarm. Not needed for your truck. Some cars have a factory alarm that will need to be killed (ie like a honda) and re-armed.

Cap them off and tape them as well.

Most ignore the drivers priority, but if you need to hook it up, you will use the factory disarm wire (light green purple plug bcm) and a relay.

I would just tag normal lock and unlock for your truck if I was installing the system myself.

Any other questions, just ask

Old 01-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently don't know how I will connect all of the wires, but it seems to me that I will splice them in with the current system. I've got splices that you put the factory wire through and then there is a capped in that you put in the additional wire and a piece of metal splices both of them to provide the connection. So handy.

I was under the impression that I did have a factory alarm. I have a RKE remote that arms and disarms the vehicle. The standard system. I call it an alarm because if I open the door with it armed then it would flash lights and honk horn. So just to make sure, this does not need to be armed or unarmed as I lock and unlock the doors?

I don't need to hook the driver's priority up, but I certainly do like it and so I will follow your instructions and hope that I do it correctly.

Also, what about the factory bypass that I mentioned? Is it needed or not?

I'm just trying to think through all of this and get things situated because I will be working on the system outside in the snow. I'm at college in Ohio right now and do not have a garage to use :-( so the less time I have to spend outside thinking through things the warmer I stay!

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

GM's will disarm and arm with lock and unlock.

For the bypass, google PLJX much betterer bypass (reliability wise)

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I beleive your truck has passlock so you would need a passlock module to get the starter to work. I could find you a complete wiring diagram for hooking up alarms/starters in your truck if you need it.