Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

sounds like dead battery, but isn't

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Greg2000Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default sounds like dead battery, but isn't

I have a 2000 Jimmy. For the last couple weeks, I occasionally have trouble getting it started. Sounds like a dead battery. Either makes no sound or makes a constant clicking sound. I've jumped it a couple times, and the Jimmy is fine for 4-5 days.

My battery is fine. Checked out OK at Auto Zone, and I'm not draining the battery. The weird thing is a couple times it's make the clicking sound, then starts when I turn the ignition again.

Until today, the problem was confined to starting the engine. But today, the engine went dead four times during a 150-mile trip. Three of times it happened as I was coming to a stop light. The fourth time it occurred on the interstate (I think my foot was off the accelerator, but not sure). Quickly restarted the first two times. Kind of dicey afterward.

Any ideas on the problem? I'm thinking the starter/solenoid combo, assuming that it's a combination setup? Or maybe it's the ignition switch, although I don't know if the ignition switch would cause the truck to stall in traffic. That's what's throwing me for a loop - the engine stalling in traffic. Of course, I'm assuming the problems are related. Maybe they're separate.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Clean battery teminals? my jeep did this. alotta trouble for nothing but some corroded terminals. If they are clean id look at the starter. For the stalling clean the iac,egr. Let us know if this solves the issues.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:12 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Bad starter/solenoid will not cause the truck to stall in traffic. Bad ignition switch will. Could be related, might not be. The no-crank will be the easy one to fix. Once you get that taken care of, you can troubleshoot the stalling problem IF it still occurs. Trying to solve both at the same time might cause more confusion than anything if it turns out thery are unrelated.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start with the simple things first by checking/cleaning the battery terminals. It is amazing how many issues can result from loose/dirty terminals.

Remove the bolt and the rubber/plastic around each and clean both the bolt and both sides of the fitting on the end of the cable thoroughly with emery cloth (or sand paper, file, etc). Reinstall with dielectric grease on everything (don't be shy with it).

Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Mine had alternator issues, then I changed the way I connect the battery terminals. This is how I have mine. It works great AND I have solid connections for booster cables if need be. If you use 2 nuts then you can leave the nut against the side terminal tight & back off the 2nd nut to add accesories/spade connections.
Takes care of the possiblity of loose connections & any issues that may cause.
see my posting https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...y-58620/page2/ for a pic.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Greg2000Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. I think it was the battery terminals. There was some corrosion. There's a definite difference in power when I turn the ignition. Haven't had any problems since. Truck hasn't stalled again, at least not yet.