Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Sounds Like a Wheel Bearing But...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 PM
metalhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sounds Like a Wheel Bearing But...

yesterday me and the gf took the truck for an oil change check up and then went for a drive.. we were driving the truck most of the day and everything seemed fine.. later on that evening we went for a drive just outside of town (no lights or stop signs lol) and after driving for about 20 min we turned around and headed back.. but on the way back i noticed a sound like i had knobby mud tires or studded tireson the truck... after awhile i figured it must be a wheelbearing.. sounded just like a bad wheelbearing which i heard many times before.. but when turning or anything it gets no louder or quieter.. and also you can't notice it at slow speeds.. it's really noticeable at 60kmh... ok so here goes a few questions

1. shouldn't the wheelbearing sound louder and quiter depending which side you turn to depending on which is bad..??

2. could it be caused by something they greased at the garage..??

3. could a wheelbearing go that quick and sudden with no warning..??

4. could a wheelbearing be causing my handling problem at highway speeds..?? (truck has a weird bounce/sway motion when travelling highway speeds and going over overpasses or bumps) and if so would it be in the front of the truck for that to be the problem..??

5. also could it be the rearend..?? (it's hard to tell where it's coming from and heard some people have trouble with the rearends in these)

anyway enough questions for now lol and THX in advance to all again

Old 04-04-2007, 01:00 AM
filstoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sounds Like a Wheel Bearing But...

Sounds like the problem I had with the front differential. I had trouble pinpointing it because it wouldn't do it with the wheels off the ground. Sounded like a wheel bearing but there was no play in the bearings. Got under it and shook everything and finally figured that it had a little too much play in it. One symptom was that you could hear it a little in 2WD but it got considerabely louder in 4WD.I could tell it was up front or in the center though and wasn't coming from the rear end. Didn't affect the handling either.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM

only thing is.. 2wd or4wd makes nodifference.. according as i speed up itmakes alouder humming noise that sounds just like a bad wheel bearing.. but no diff in the wheelwhen driving.. only thing changes the sound is my speed..

Old 04-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Beginning Member
dgreene00017 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had the same thing with mine only prob is you have to change the whole hub $130--$170 at most part stores depending on what kind of warranty you want. try jacking it up and checking for movement in the wheels top to bottom. put your hands at 12 and 6 oclock and see if there is any play, if theere is it is most likely a bad hub.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM

well finaly got some cash together getting it looked at tommorrw... the noise hasn't changed in the past day orsountil today and now i notice it gets louder when i make a left hand turn but stays the same constant sound when going straight or right.. so itshould be a wheel bearing..??

Old 04-14-2007, 02:11 PM
infiltrator.07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue. Jacked the truck up and shook it down....nothing that "feels" wheel bearing related. The strange feeling that you have going over bumps and stuff I felt too. It could be a couple things: Sway bar end link is shot or it could be the idler arm. My problem was an idler arm. Some places will do a 7 point or whatever point inspection for you for free. Check out some options like that locally. It's free and they can put your blazer in the air to check it out for you. Just make sure there isn't an obligation to buy anything before you hand over your keys. Anyone else have anything sound like the wheel bearing problem before?

Old 04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
mudbath is an unknown quantity at this point

You may have a separated belt in one of your tires. That could make a noise and if on the front you may feel it in the steering wheel. On the back have someone follow you and see if the tire has a side to side wobble or up and down. They maybe able to see the fronts if driving beside you on a divided highway.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

I also had a similar problem and it was repaired with a new idler arm.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:44 PM

had it in the garage the other day again.. intentding on getting it fixed.. only they were too busy that day but one of the older guys at the garage was asking whatthe problemwas like and i told him he could take it for a run.. (ex-GM mechanic)so we did.. and like we figured.. he said it must be the front passenger side wheel bearing because itgot louder when making a left turn.. and he also noticed the "float/bounce" in the truck and figures there's a shock with the guts baffled out.. i figure the passenger side but i'm gonna replace both..

anyway funny thing was that when we got back to the garage he jacked up the passenger side and it was fine.. jacked up the driver side and it was shot.. weird.. so he recommended that i take the truck down to another shop that they send all there suspension work too.. so i did and they said that i needed the front driver side wheel bearing, 2 front new tires and another front end alignment.. crap considering i just had a front end alignment a month ago lol.. he also said he checked everything in the front end and it was all good..

long story even longer lol.. i was gonna get it done seein' as a local parts store here has one here for $170+tax.. but everyone i've talked to said that i'll be lucky if i get a month or 2 out of anything other than the orig that's supposed to be in there.. and they're $320.. so know i gotta wait till tuesday lmao.. oh well all i can do i guess

Old 04-25-2007, 09:26 PM

ok got it fixed.. it was the driver side wheel bearing even though it got louder when turning to the left.. it obviouslywas replaced with a used wheel bearing already because the used auto parts store wrote their name on it for warranty purposes lol.. and on a brighter note i was going to buy the cheaper wheel bearing for $182 at UAP/NAPA but when i got there they apparently had sold the only one they had the night before.. so the guy gave the $270 bearing for $182 because all 3 stores only had the more expensive one.. so i made out pretty good.. put it in myself no problem too.. THX to all for the help