Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

It " started" with the headlights. Now it doesn't start. 2001 Jimmy SLS 4X4 HALP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2023 | 06:18 PM
|
Starting Member
JoesJimmy is on a distinguished road
Default It " started" with the headlights. Now it doesn't start. 2001 Jimmy SLS 4X4 HALP!

Ran into a whole bunch of problems with our 2001 Jimmy SLS 4x4 after buying it used a couple of years ago. Been reading into possible issues in here as I only joined a few weeks ago. Time to make a post and hope y'all can help to save the day.

Long story long, it started with plow light and then headlight issues. Later, had problems getting it to run. In trying to ID the start/run issues, ignition stopped cranking. It's been like dominoes with this thing.

We can get it to crank and fire by jumping the ignition relay but it runs good for a minute or so then labors and sputters out. Won't restart. Changed fuel filter, changed cap 'n rotor.

Onto ignition switch...bought new one from Napa, noticed the "block" that it connects to has two side harness connectors. A gray and a black with a dozen plus wires to each that slide in against sides of, and mount to, the ignition switch "block"

Pulled ignition switch, ready to swap it out, and noticed the gray side harness has a short, the top orange/red wire (see photos) is scorched, and the receiving pin on the "block".

This is the electrical forum, not looking for all issues to be diagnosed or helped with here and I'll make an appropriate post elsewhere, but, a few questions:

1) what is that gray harness connector called?
2) where can I get one (Napa guy didn't think they sold them)
3) what is that orange/red wire? I'm not great at reading schematics, or finding the right ones, apparently.
4)if ignition switch is good, what is causing my ignition to just roll forward with no resistance and not crank?

Non electrical, anyone know why it might run for a minute then sputter out? Seems like it's starving for gas. Receipts say fuel pump was replaced a 5-6 years ago.

Thanks in advance as from everything I've read in this forum has been top notch sage and friendly advice. Happy early Thanksgiving everyone!

Top wire is orange/red, gray 13-pin connector, what does orange/red come from/go to? Where can I order a replacement connector? Do I replace internal pin components instead?

This is what I keep calling the \"block"...what's it's actually called? Any way to remove / replace that and/or replace shorted pin? I'd like to check the wire connected to that pin for loose connection and figure out where THAT wire goes as well.

I think that's what the gray thing is...how'd I do? Can I get a replacement? Where does it go, what does it come from? Halp!

Am I looking at wrong schematic? I don't see ORN/RD...

Last edited by JoesJimmy; 11-21-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2023 | 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I know you asked for specific help with your issues, but I would start by finding and cleaning every ground on the vehicle as what you have described sure sounds like ground(s) problems to me. After taking care of the grounds, then find out if it worked, and if not start trouble shooting.

Old 11-24-2023 | 09:05 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

I would call it yellow/red or yellow/pink. Simple thing to do is to take a piece of wire and bypass the block for that circuit. It isn't like it has to come apart all the time. Don't forget to solder.

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-24-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-24-2023 | 09:55 AM

As far as the no start - that is probably just a mismatch for the passlock sensor (security system) after replacing the ignition switch. Need to do the Passlock sensor code learn procedure (don't forget to have a charger on the battery as it takes 30 minutes to complete).

FYI I looked up the wiring - Circuit 10 yellow/red at your connector C211 pin E13 is the Headlamp Switch Signal. On one side of the connector the wire is yellow/red and the other side it is just plain yellow.

Hope this helps

Last edited by LesMyer; 11-24-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2023 | 10:08 AM

Passlock Procedure attached (use the 30 minute one as it doesn't require a scanner)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Passlock.pdf (14.5 KB, 25 views)