Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Starting troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Beginning Member
Burnboy is on a distinguished road
Default Starting troubles

I have an '03 s10 4 cyl 5 spd. All of a sudden My truck wont start. It has Never died while running or hesitated while starting before. Battery and alternator is new. When I put the key in everything comes on like normal.
When i try to turn it over nothing happens. The starter relay clicks like its getting power. I just checked the clutch switch and the contacts were a bit dirty so I cleaned them, still nothing. I tried bypassing it and still nothing. I have a new one on the way just in case.
I tried popping the clutch and the truck starts fine. I drove it around and the shift light does not go off when I push the clutch in, this is what led me to believe it was the clutch switch.
Until I get the new switch is there anything else I should look for? Also does connecting the purple and purple with white stripe wires successfully bypass it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Burnboy; 04-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member

Ok just checked the clutch switch. Swapped it for a new one and it still didnt work.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the starter is going out on you. You can test if power is getting to the solenoid on the starter by connecting a multimeter to the small post on the solenoid and watching the voltage as you turn the key to the start position. If you are getting +12V to the solenoid and have +12V to the large terminal on the starter, then the starter itself is at fault. You can also remove the starter and have it tested.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member

Im taking the starter off now, how do I get the wires off of it? I got the bolts out but cant reach the damn wires.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible. I have rather large hands and have done it on a number of different occasions in the s-series trucks. It isn't fun, but the ability to work blind helps.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member

The starter tested fine so now ill check the wires from the battery

Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member

The cable from the battery to the starter looks fine, no nicks or cuts, continuity tests fine as well. What else could it be?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Are you seeing +12V on the smaller wire to the starter when the key is in the 'start' position?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Beginning Member

the purple one? ill go check, if not then what could it be?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator

I don't have time to run through that right now, but I have run through the possibilities in other threads. Start searching around and you might come across it. Or maybe someone else can comment. If nothing else, I may have time later today.

Quick Reply: Starting troubles