Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

stuck contradicting symptoms...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
IrishRiley is on a distinguished road
Default stuck contradicting symptoms...

Hey everyone, so I have a 97 blazer and almost every sign says bad ignition switch. Service engine light is on with solenoid, torque converter, and O2 sensor codes at same time. Half the time it will go into limp mode or abs light will come on. When it's running right the transmission feels great, had a flush 30k ago at 90k, and cat converter replace 7k ago. Now the contradictions, gauges seem to work except maybe temp, won't go above 140 no matter how long I drive. I've replaced the t-stat three times with new stant radiator cap but also cranks out the heat. Even on low I'm toasty in no time( I live in Denver so not super cold but it's gotten down to -10 so far). That's why I'm starting to think gauge is mal-functioning. Plus I tested all the fuses and they all have power. A couple tested as grounds, not sure if they should be. As you can probably tell I'm not a mechanic but I can learn pretty quick, not totally inept with a wrench haha. This definitely has me stuck and I'd like to learn how to work on this myself when possible. This forum by far is the most helpful, you guys know your stuff so I'm asking! Any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I think you're on the right track with the ignition switch. 1997 ignition switch is unique and is well known for all kinds of screwy issues, transmission DTC's included. This might be why the switch was only used for one year All brands of switches have basically the same problem, but AC Delco seems to last a little longer than the others for some reason. You'll need a DVOM and an accurate 1997 wiring schematic to check each circuit, in each position of the switch. This link explains: https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/

Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Beginning Member
IrishRiley is on a distinguished road

Thanks again captain, I got the stant tstat and cap like you said so I know I have good ones when I do figure this out. I already love this blazer but it's been a pricey affair! The fuse having power was giving me doubts but I'll try the switch. Hey, even if it's not that at least I'll know and it's bound to go bad anyway. Thanks again! Anything else the 97 is notorious for that I should watch for?

Old 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Notorious? There's a list a mile long of common problems with these things That's why we're here. Once you get caught up on the maintenance and repairs, keeping it maintained isn't all that bad. We can help you with that too.