Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Suggestions To Replace OEM Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:34 PM
ldf49 is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions To Replace OEM Foglights

The factory fog lights are anemic to say the least. Tried SilverStars in them, regular wattage, not much of an improvement. Have read to try the 37/38 watt bulbs. Are they really that much better than the original? Heard that 50 watts are a no no, as they melt the housing. Some say the 37/38 watt ones discolor the lens, turning them brown. Has anyone found a replacement fog light assembly that will fit in place of the oem fog lights? Would be nice to have some fog lights that appear oem that work. Can't figure out why Chevy would continue to put out such an inferior fog light for so many years. You would think that they would have had numerous complaints on them. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Maybe I should just wire them up as daytime running lights. They would work fine for that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Starting Member
jpimp is on a distinguished road

I would try those cree led

Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jpimp
I would try those cree led
No.. Just no. You would get better output from taping a flash light under your bumper.
LED fog lights are GARBAGE. 99% of the time dont use real CREE led's, and if they do, they use cheap bottom of the line CREE's, and on top of all of that, there is no optics to direct the light. Total waste of money.

OP, I am assuming you are talking about the "fog" lights that are in the grille area with the amber lights?

If you are trying to improve those to be fog lights, dont waste your time, they are not close enough to the ground to be fog lights.

You are better off getting some after market fogs and mounting them down near the bottom of your bumper/in your bumper.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

^This is all you need to know really.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:23 PM
ldf49 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys. That is what I figured would be the general consensus. The OEM fogs look nice, but don't work worth beans. The first ZR2 I had didn't have the fogs and I liked the look of them and the one I have now has them, but as stated earlier, are worthless. Still thinking of hooking those up as DRL and adding after market fogs. Might as well use them for something. Thanks again for your input. Appreciated.