Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Tbc/ fuse issues

Old 10-20-2018, 06:29 PM
Beginning Member
Antnvlz1294@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
Default Tbc/ fuse issues

Hello everyone!,

Im new to the forum and hope I’m in the right place. Just bought a 1998 Chevy blazer 4.3 ls from a gentleman who couldn’t get it started. He said it was a “fuel issue”. Towed it home, heard the fuel pump was running(he said he replaced the pump and the filter) and immediately went to the fuses. Upon looking at the fuses, I looked through and found one fuse blown at the bottom right (looking from the driver side fender) labeled “TBC” 10 amp. It was blown. Switched one over and it went right in and the truck started right up(hasn’t ran in months). Truck has only 110k miles and is in great shape with no rust or rot. Good paint, interior, etc. on the dash the security light stayed on while running along with the brake light(blown brake line, replacing next week) and a battery light on(new battery assuming it’s a weak or bad alternator) and lastly a fuel light just because it has no fuel(previous owner drained it because he didn’t want it sitting in the tank). After I turned it on and it was running those were the lights on the dash. The dome lights went on and everything was working. I cut the car off and turned it back on a few times to make sure it would run and it did. Today after work (c-tech mechanic for AAA) I went to replace the other fuse I swapped and checked the “TBC” fuse to see how it was. It was blown. I immediately swapped it out with a new one and as soon as I put the new one it, it blew and I may have seen some light smoke near where the brake booster was but might not be sure because there is some dust and there was no smell or smoke for more than a second. I tried to see if the truck would start and I turned the key and she started right up. No dome lights on now with the doors open.

Where do i start? What do I check?, I’d like to fix this problem to prevent running into future issues because this beautiful little truck is worth keeping. I’m new to Chevy so please be patient with me because I do not know everything. I haven’t also seen much on this issue so please help me out to the best of your ability. I’m away for a day in Nashville for personal reasons but will be back home with the truck within the next 48hours. Thank you all so much in advance.

Regards

Last edited by Antnvlz1294@gmail.com; 10-20-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 AM
Beginning Member

Bump. No one?

Old 10-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. The TBC (truck body computer) fuse powers the body control module (BCM). They rarly go bad. They use 5 volts dc so an accidental hit (short) of 12 volts will blow the fuse. Do all the options work when it's running? I've also seen under hood fuse boxes burnt on the bottom but appear fine looking from the top. My wiring harness was burned and shorted against the bracket for the abs motor. Delco and delphi make the only pump assemblies that seem to be reliable. Cheaper pumps last from a week to a year. A $20 fuel injection pump test kit from harbor freight and a read through of Captain Hooks test procedure will confirm it's operating up to spec.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

Old 10-22-2018, 09:56 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Welcome to the forum. The TBC (truck body computer) fuse powers the body control module (BCM). They rarly go bad. They use 5 volts dc so an accidental hit (short) of 12 volts will blow the fuse. Do all the options work when it's running? I've also seen under hood fuse boxes burnt on the bottom but appear fine looking from the top. My wiring harness was burned and shorted against the bracket for the abs motor. Delco and delphi make the only pump assemblies that seem to be reliable. Cheaper pumps last from a week to a year. A $20 fuel injection pump test kit from harbor freight and a read through of Captain Hooks test procedure will confirm it's operating up to spec.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/
the fuel pump is still working. It starts and runs. The security light is solid on the dash along with a battery light(new battery but needs an alternator) and a brake light(brake line blew needs fixed and fluid) fuel isn’t a problem it’s this tbc/ fuse issue. I’ll look under the fuse box today to see if anything is burnt up and then I’ll also check where you spoke of the harness for any cuts or burning. I’m also going to unplug the ignition to see if it’ll blow another fuse. Like I said as soon as I put a new fuse it, it blew. I’m going to look around the bcm wiring to see if anything is wrong. As for the accessories options, I do not have the key unlock for it because the previous owner doesn’t have one so I’ll have to get one and check, but everything was working until the fuse blew. Then the dome lights didn’t work, then the fuse blew as soon as I replaced it.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

A good battery and alternator are necessary. Grab a box of 10 amp fuses while you're there. Does it have an aftermarket remote start unit?

Old 10-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
A good battery and alternator are necessary. Grab a box of 10 amp fuses while you're there. Does it have an aftermarket remote start unit?
yeah I have to grab an alternator ASAP just don’t have the cash for it just yet. As for aftermarket remote start, I don’t see anything physically that would indicate that it does(nothing wired to the battery or interior/exterior fuses) although I do believe it came with an original remote keyless entry I just don’t posses the fob for it. As for the solid security light when it’s running, what’s the process for removing that? It’s not preventing the vehicle from running or starting.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
Alex Roland is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500

Need help 2000 Chevy Silverado with the 5.3. When you turn the key it starts up then within 2 or 3 seconds shuts off. Has a new fuel pump and filter and change the fuel pressure regulator out today and still having the same issue. Some people telling me it's a security issue but I done tried everything with the plug behind the steering wheel.

Old 03-16-2021, 04:45 PM
Starting Member
HelloGiantMe is on a distinguished road
Default Similar issue TBC fuse power draw

Hello,

I drive a 2001 Chevy Suburban 1500. I love this truck. When I remove the TBC fuse the power bleeding stops. I checked the dash fuses too. The only fuse with an issue is the TBC. Should I replace my BCM?

Thank you