Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Trailer wire harness question

Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Starting Member
Neb15 is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer wire harness question

So I'm wanting to get my blazer trailer ready (98 4dr).
I looked but didn't see the right plug n play adapter for the harness to t into a quick connect at Canadian tire so I picked up a joe 4 pin to splice in. When I crawled under the back I noticed a neatly bunched up wire connected to brake harness behind bumper slightly on left side. It has a really worn out tag on I can't read and no end. I pulled it apart and found wire colours I was looking for but too meany, couple greens and browns a long with a yellow and thick white I presume to be ground.
Is this a factory wire there for factory option trailer lights?
Does anybody know the colour code back there (witch ones I need for 4pin) or is it better to wire in a seven and use an adapter ?
A pic of wires

Name:  q4hP7lh.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  686.0 KB
To clarify the front of the truck is on the left, rust is bottom of bumper and I'm looking up at it

Last edited by Neb15; 06-03-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

brown -- tail lights
green - right and brake
yellow - left and brake
White -- ground

I would check them with a test light JIK

I prefer to take the white from the trailer plug and screw it right to the frame for a good ground

I dont believe there is a Blazer plug and play set , no plugs

Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Starting Member

thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

white ground??? hmmm interesting, I thought black was the universal ground.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
white ground??? hmmm interesting, I thought black was the universal ground.
true....but not for trailers. white is the ground wire. i just re-did mine today and the white wire is the largest wire in the whole thing. (i have the 8 wire harness) i dont know why they have done that, but its been that way for along time.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Neb15
So I'm wanting to get my blazer trailer ready (98 4dr).
I looked but didn't see the right plug n play adapter for the harness to t into a quick connect at Canadian tire so I picked up a joe 4 pin to splice in. When I crawled under the back I noticed a neatly bunched up wire connected to brake harness behind bumper slightly on left side. It has a really worn out tag on I can't read and no end. I pulled it apart and found wire colours I was looking for but too meany, couple greens and browns a long with a yellow and thick white I presume to be ground.
Is this a factory wire there for factory option trailer lights?
Does anybody know the colour code back there (witch ones I need for 4pin) or is it better to wire in a seven and use an adapter ?
i personally like the 7 wire, but i dont think that you have all the wires....might just be the picture angle or something. but you could get a 7 pin that has the flat 4 already in it. you just wire up the 7 pin and you get both of them. plus that way, if you have a friend that needs something towed that has a 7 pin, you dont have to try and go the other way. if that makes sense.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Twip
true....but not for trailers. white is the ground wire. i just re-did mine today and the white wire is the largest wire in the whole thing. (i have the 8 wire harness) i dont know why they have done that, but its been that way for along time.
That is odd! I guess I never payed attention. I have a 4 pin harness on mine which I used to hook up my light up GMC trailer hitch cover since I do not pull anything. berry strange!

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Starting Member

sweet. well the four wires work perfect. just twisted them up cuz im moving and idk where my solder and such are now. Later on im going to wire in a mounted 7 and unit like this
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/0408232_1?$medium$&defaultImage=image_na_EN

From what i can tell there is a wire not there, maybe pulling apart the harness more ill find it. In addition to the yellow, white, green, and brown, I have a light blue and light green. what else am i missing if i need to tap it somewhere else?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I put a 7 & 4 combo on my 2dr because my camper needs a 7 and utility trailer uses 4
I made the tire carrier hole in the bumper bigger and mounted there

Attached Thumbnails Trailer wire harness question-20130513_193830_zps9192a2d8.jpg