Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

UK spec 1999 Blazer immobiliser issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Beginning Member
68dartboy is on a distinguished road
Default UK spec 1999 Blazer immobiliser issues

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and need some help. I run a 2000 UK spec Blazer and my partner has just bought a NON running 1999 UK spec Blazer.
Its the 1999 model we need help with. The fob is ( as far as we can tell ) not functioning ) so it wont unlock the doors. The engine will turn over and fire for a few seconds and then it dies.
I have been told that when the vehicles were imported into the UK another immobiliser was piggy backed onto the factory immobiliser. Apparently its this add on one that causes the problem when it goes down.

I have been told that it is possible to remove the immobilisers and get the car running again, problem is we are struggling to find anyone who has done the job before.

Just wondered if any of the Uk members of this forum had any experience of doing this as don't really want to scrap the car out for this fault.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 68dartboy
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and need some help. I run a 2000 UK spec Blazer and my partner has just bought a NON running 1999 UK spec Blazer.
Its the 1999 model we need help with. The fob is ( as far as we can tell ) not functioning ) so it wont unlock the doors. The engine will turn over and fire for a few seconds and then it dies.
I have been told that when the vehicles were imported into the UK another immobiliser was piggy backed onto the factory immobiliser. Apparently its this add on one that causes the problem when it goes down.

I have been told that it is possible to remove the immobilisers and get the car running again, problem is we are struggling to find anyone who has done the job before.

Just wondered if any of the Uk members of this forum had any experience of doing this as don't really want to scrap the car out for this fault.
Hi there to another UK owner.
The UK version is totally dependent on the key fob, unlike the US versions it doesn't have any chip in the key or the ignition barrel. Unlocking the doors with the fob also deactivates the immobilizer. I only have one fob for mine and am concerned what happens if that dies. the receiver for the signal is behind the panel on the left of the passenger foot well, drop the top of the glove box and you should see it, has a black wire aerial that goes round the passenger door opening. Presume you have tried a new battery in the fob, also it might need synchronising press and hold both lock and unlock buttons at the same time, it should then lock and unlock. Contact me if I can be of any help, and let me know if you find a way round the immobilizer.

Follow on to last message, I have heard that it is possible to program any UK blazer fob to any vehicle, if you can get a working one from a breakers not sure if that is right but it might be worth a try. If you do I can tell you the programing sequence.

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-29-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
aever34 is on a distinguished road

Hi
I had a big problem with my immobiliser on 2000 Blazer LT Uk spec it kept coming on at odd times some times you go out and the car wont start go back in a hour and it started in the end i found someone that had removed one from there Blazer and they owned a garage near me in Chatham Kent and he took mine out and have not had any problems since the garage is Hazel Motors in Chatham Medway Kent 01634 406664 he had a blazer for some time so has a good knowledge of the car if you are not to far away give them a ring it will take around 2hr to remove the immobiliser its well worth the cost

Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys,
I have a working remote on MY 2000 UK spec blazer but was reluctant to try that one case we end up with 2 immobilised vehicles

Will give Hazel Motors a try, have also been given a vague contact in Luton area of DS Motors who can also do it. just struggling to find a contact for them at the moment.

Just spoke to the guy in Luton ( Dave at DH Autos ) and he can sort out the immobiliser problems on the RHD UK spec Blazer's. His contact number is 01582 579494

Sorry meant to say Hazel Motors can still do the job for anyone who lives further down south.

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-30-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Thumbs up

Great info, thanks. My system still works, but only one remote, might consider having it removed before I have a problem. Anyway it will save explaining to garage staff that you have to use the remote in order to start the car when it's in for work.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Beginning Member

No problems, I will let you know how it went when we've had it done.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:24 AM
Beginning Member

Well the Blazer is back, after nearly 2 months. It now runs but only after having a new ECM,BCM,fob ( which he cant get to programme!! ),barrell, ignition switch, battery,rebuilt starter and rewired alternator. A job which cost my partner £1211.00 plus the parts we ordered from the States !!!!

When I say it runs, it does, but the EML light is still on, along with the Low Fuel light ( and fuel gauge don't work ), air bag light on and a rear glass hatch that now wont open ( it did b4 ), all problems he reckons he couldnt sort.

I will leave you guys to make your own minds up whether you want to take your cars to him.

Only thing I will say is apparently my partners Blazer is one of very few that doesnt have the Thatcham immobiliser fitted, it only has the GM Pass system.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Which place did you take it to in the end, Luton or Chatham? just so I know.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Beginning Member

PM me if you want anymore info on the ONGOING saga