Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Turn signal no flashy and no brake light (intermittent)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:07 AM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road
Default Turn signal no flashy and no brake light (intermittent)

Started 2 days ago, went to make a left turn and noticed indicator flashed twice erratically then went black. Did it one time then worked rest of way home.
yesterday on way to work did it again. Co worked was behind me and said no brake light on that side either. Pulled in to parking place and everything worked again.
on way home, went to change lanes and indicator flashed twice then dark.

I plan to check the bulb today, but ussually a bulb will hyper flash and either works or it dont. Never had anything like this.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:07 AM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road

I belive it's going to be the multi switch. I can put just a little bit of pressure back torwards me, like turning on the high beams, but not enough to turn on the high beams and it will work again.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:58 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Check your grounds.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is very common for the hazard switch inside of the multi-function switch to flake out for one reason or another. Often, the flex of the housing by moving the signal stalk will shift the contacts in the hazard switch just enough to bring things back to life appropriately. Depending on the year of the vehicle being discussed (you really should put that information in your opening posts...), there may be a replacement hazard switch that can be replaced quite easily and very cheaply compared with a full on multi-function switch replacement; some have done it without even removing the covers from the column, but care must be taken as the hazard switch can break off leaving nothing to grab hold of, in which case the covers may need to be removed to pry the remaining bits of the hazard switch out of the multi-function switch housing if you can't get to it with pliers.

THIS TECH ARTICLE is actually the text from a TSB on the subject, Broken Hazard Switch Repair has pictures of the process, and there are many videos of this process on Youtube as well. Part way down the tech article there are a bunch of multi-function switch part numbers that correspond to two different hazard switch part numbers (all GM PNs). I'm not sure why there are two different PNs for the switches, but GM must have had a reason. I know that there are aftermarket hazard switches and Dorman 924-608 seems to be the most popular, but I'm not sure how that stacks up against the two different GM replacement switch PN's.

Try fiddling with the hazard switch and see what that gets you.