Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Turn Signal Wierdness

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM
tex540 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Turn Signal Wierdness

Hi everyone. My Blazer is a '96 4x4, and I'm having an issue with my turn signals. If the key is on (truck running or not) the left turn signal is stuck on. The switch is in the middle (off) position. I can see the light blinking in the dash. I can hear the relay ticking. But the strange thing is that only the front signals are blinking. If I move the switch down to the left turn position, then the rear will also blink as expected. If I move the switch up into the right turn position, I get right side front and back signals blinking as expected, and also the left front continues to blink along with both green arrows in the dash. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this? Switch, or relay? It seems to me that if the multifunction switch was just stuck, then I'd get both front and back lights blinking. I did replace the rear bulbs after I saw they they weren't blinking with the front with the switch in the "off" position. Of course I was going to try to pass the state inspection tomorrow, and it won't pass with the malfunctioning turn signals.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

The turn-signal switch or "multi-function switch" is known to be quite complicated. Any number of things could be wrong with it resulting in odd behavior. You might double check the grounds for each of the bulbs.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

As you have already replaced the rears check the bulbs in the front - a broken filament can arc and weld itself to another causing a back feed doing all sorts of strange things .....

Old 10-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Turns out it was the switch for the hazards. The plastic button part of it had been broken for along time, and as I was searching for info here, I ran across a thread on how it can just be pulled out with a pair of pliers. So, I went and poked at it with a screwdriver. I got some plastic bits out. Then the left turn signal stopped, then the right side started up. I wiggled it and then the horn honked and the hazards came on and wouldn't quit. What genius designed what could be such a simple circuit but made it so convoluted?? I finally grabbed it with a pair of needle nose pliers and gave it a good yank. I didn't pull it completely out because I don't care if the hazards work or not (I just use it as a hunting truck). The turn signals are working fine for now, probably until I hit a bump, LOL.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:45 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Hmm time for a new switch before you get a wiring meltdown - glad you figured it out .....

Old 10-03-2019, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for reporting back.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:44 PM

...A little more of the tribulations today... Like I reported above, I didn't remove the hazard switch, I just jiggled it. Well, it came un-jiggled and I got rear only and constant hazards. I poked it again and got no nothing: no hazards, turn signals, or brake lights. So, enough screwing around with that. I yanked out the switch and found a Dorman replacement in stock at a local autozone that I'll go get tomorrow and shove it back in there. Funny thing is that it behaved just long enough to pass the state inspection this afternoon! Now, I just need it to work long enough to make the 150mi drive to my hunting lease tomorrow.