Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Where is the rear water pump located for the back window wiper.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the rear water pump located for the back window wiper.

Ok so the title says it all. I have a 96 blazer and the rear wiper arm works fine but there is no water coming for the window wiper, i know there has to be a pump back there somewhere there is the washer fluid container next to the taillights but i don't know where the pump is. Im going to do some work in the hatch soon so can anybody tell me the location of the pump. It'll save me some time knowing where it is located. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:03 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure about a '96 blazer but my '02 runs the rear washer fluid off the main reservoir under the hood.
Have you tried having someone run the rear washer while you're at the back & listen for the pump? My guess if it is located back there, it would be in a quarter panel. But if it has a separate reservoir you'd see a plate/panel labeled for it.

Last edited by Rottidog; 01-19-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

they both should be located on the reservoir

Edit: Yes they are on the resevoir under the intake where the filter is

your gonna have to remove the intake and see witch pump is for the rear

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 01-19-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran

LOL John, 1st a video yesterday about something I explained & now a pic? You're slipping dude. But that pic is for a 2002, his is a '96. Are you/we sure they're the same? I know almost every year of 2nd gens have subtle differences.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yup they are the same Ive checked all over before i posted that diagram

Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure the nozzle for the rear wiper is not clogged? take the hose that connects to the nozzle off so its just hanging there, and turn on the rear wiper to activate the pump and see if washer fluid comes out to rule that out.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran

Cool, I kind of figured you did but I was hoping to catch you on a mistake lol

Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazer51
Ok so the title says it all. I have a 96 blazer and the rear wiper arm works fine but there is no water coming for the window wiper, i know there has to be a pump back there somewhere there is the washer fluid container next to the taillights but i don't know where the pump is. Im going to do some work in the hatch soon so can anybody tell me the location of the pump. It'll save me some time knowing where it is located. Thanks in advance.
If there's a bottle back there, the pump is close by.
Have you seen the entire bottle?
The reason I believe that is just common sense. It's easier to build a small pump to deliver head pressure.. meaning pump uphill, than to build one to pull a vacuum. Therefore it isnt likely to be in the hatch.
My guess is it's attached to the bottle itself as most have been since the eighties. Why I asked if you looked at the bottle.

Now here's the ??? part.. I looked it up on rockauto. Both front and rear pumps have the 'bottle seal'. Both are used on cars through 2004. Are you sure there's a bottle in the rear?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by pettyfog
If there's a bottle back there, the pump is close by.
Have you seen the entire bottle?
The reason I believe that is just common sense. It's easier to build a small pump to deliver head pressure.. meaning pump uphill, than to build one to pull a vacuum. Therefore it isnt likely to be in the hatch.
My guess is it's attached to the bottle itself as most have been since the eighties. Why I asked if you looked at the bottle.

Now here's the ??? part.. I looked it up on rockauto. Both front and rear pumps have the 'bottle seal'. Both are used on cars through 2004. Are you sure there's a bottle in the rear?

nope front and rear washers use the same reservoir

Both pumps are located on the tank

Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Which is why I think he should check the nozzle. if its not that, you should be able to hear the pump kick on when you try to activate it for the rear window.

Quick Reply: Where is the rear water pump located for the back window wiper.