Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Wierd Battery/voltage Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 PM
Enraged_Bacon is on a distinguished road
Default Wierd Battery/voltage Behavior

Im having a problem with my blazer, specifically and electrical problem.

If the Vehicle sits for more than a few days, I have to turn the key on and off multiple times to get it to cranks, otherwise it just clicks. When driving the voltage seems a little low, usually a notch or two under the 14. Then randomly it will drop to 10-11 volts it seems for a random amount of time and then it will go back up.

I first replaced the 10 year old Interstate battery, thinking that might be the issue. Problem still persisted. Then I replaced the alternator with a new ACDelco unit. The driving voltage seems a little higher. But it still has that random drop. I discovered that the monuting bracket was broken when replacing the alternator, so I just purchased a new one and will install it this weekend. I don't think that will cause the inability to start, but that might cause a bad ground there.

Im going to clean/replace the battery terminals this weekend. Could anyone inform me where the main grounds are so I can check them while im working this weekend?

1996 Blazer, 4.3 vortec.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

The ground for the battery goes to the front of engine on the passenger side. You want to get underneath your truck. Look just to the left of the crank pulley (passenger side). Might be under a butt-load of oil and muck. You'll need a flashlight.

I think the broken bracket, depending on how it's broken, could very well be causing the sudden drop.

The ignition problem could be the ignition switch, but I would look for a parasitic draw first. Something could be drawing power that shouldn't be when you shut your truck off. It's easy and could save you from spending money on throwing parts at your truck trying to find the problem. Here's a decent video on how to check for a parasitic draw.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Enraged_Bacon is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the information. I don't think I have a parasitic draw. When I mean "click" its a single click not your normal "starter click". Its the same click my 1998 K1500 had when the positive terminal got so corroded it needed replaced. More of a bad connection than insufficient power.

I will check the main battery ground since I know where its located now.

I appreciate the input