Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Windows, Cruise and Heater Fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM
jeffery57 is on a distinguished road
Default Windows, Cruise and Heater Fan not working

Here's what's going on. Driving along and everythings fine. then the Yellow ABS light comes on. when it does it may stay on for a few seconds or a few hours and while it's on the Power Windows, Cruise Control and Heat/AC fan will not work. Then the Red Brake light will also come on for a second then both lights go out and everything works fine until the next time. Any Ideas? Thanks! It's a 1997 Blazer.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jeffery57
Here's what's going on. Driving along and everythings fine. then the Yellow ABS light comes on. when it does it may stay on for a few seconds or a few hours and while it's on the Power Windows, Cruise Control and Heat/AC fan will not work. Then the Red Brake light will also come on for a second then both lights go out and everything works fine until the next time. Any Ideas? Thanks!
Wow.. that's diverse symptoms and reallt unlikely to be related.. unless..
It's a 1997 Blazer.
Oh..
Well then, I hope it will do that while it running in the driveway. You need to follow the supply 12v from the battery through the terminal block{s} and beyond to the fuse blocks etc, tugging and wiggling to see if the conditions change then find the loose connection to those or grounds.

This is why the electrical system was totally redone for 98. It was a mess.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
jeffery57 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Wow.. that's diverse symptoms and reallt unlikely to be related.. unless..

Oh..
Well then, I hope it will do that while it running in the driveway. You need to follow the supply 12v from the battery through the terminal block{s} and beyond to the fuse blocks etc, tugging and wiggling to see if the conditions change then find the loose connection to those or grounds.

This is why the electrical system was totally redone for 98. It was a mess.
Thanks for your response. I was really hoping someone on this forum has had this problem and knew of a fix. I've tried wiggling and jiggling wires and relays with no results.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Starting Member
achillies12 is on a distinguished road
Default AC, power windows, cruise control

I have similar issues with my 97 Blazer.
It was suggested to me that it could be a bad ignition switch.
I understand that the AC, power windows and cruise are on the same circuit which sucks when you lose AC and can't roll down your windows.

I'm not certain but the switch is the consensus answer for these symptoms.
hope that helps, I'm taking a crack at it too.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Well.. you know what would help.. if someone actually scanned and posted the 97 EVTM onto a decent photo site.
Guess what... I dont think GM would insist you take it down if you plead for exemption 'Because of 1997 model year'. They are probably ashamed... or should be.
OTOH, it probably was a two year project getting the 1998 on engineering done, so they made-do on the 97 and you guys pay!.

The two keys in this are the fuse block and the Ignition switch. Both are chronic headaches.

Great news.. surfing somethng totally unrelated on here. And in the 'Helpful Links' post on the 2nd gen subforum.. voila.
A link to complete service manual for the 97.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12986652/1...-Repair-Manual
Now whether that means it will have some electrical diagrams or all of them .. I dunno. I know it has some cuz I skimmed it.
But you can download it, using your facebook id.

Last edited by pettyfog; 05-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Starting Member
GDBreeze1800 is on a distinguished road

Hello to all. 1st post to this forum. Jeffery57, You described the problems of my 97 Blazer to a T. I have a few other circuits (sunroof, overhead display, etc..) that don't work. All of them appear if after you start the blazer and the Yellow ABS light doesn't go off. If the ABS light goes off, everything works fine. It's been intermittent for several months until about a month ago, then it went SOLID. That's why I just got my 2001 Blazer. ( 120 degre, no AC & no windows down = Miserable ride home).

The only common point I can find is a ground point called G117 in the schematics. But I don't know where it's located. If anyone can help, Please reply. Thanks

Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Starting Member
Joe Thurman is on a distinguished road

I am having the exact same problem. It's now like driving an oven. Has anyone figured out the problem? I changed out the ignition switch because It seemed to be in that. But it made no difference. On my 1997 Blazer sometimes when you shut off the vehicle the blower motor would continue to run until you worked the ignition switch back and forth. That's why I thought it was in the ignition. it went from an ocassional problem to a constant thing. The ABS light stays on and I can not roll the windows down. They say not to leave a pet in a closed vehicle in summer. Try driving in one!! i have driven down the highway holding my door open to get air in. PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Tropical Todd is on a distinguished road
Default Same Issue

My 97 has the same issue. Has anyone found the solution?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:51 PM
Tropical Todd is on a distinguished road

I replace the ignition switch and that was the problem. All windows work now and the AC working fine now. I will repost if anything changes.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
Long Foster J Shedaker is on a distinguished road

Has anyone found anything else out to be the problem other than the ignition switch? I am having the exact same problems abs and brake light on no air no window no heat. If this was not ignition switch has anyone else had success with anything else?

Quick Reply: Windows, Cruise and Heater Fan not working