windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
yardbird is on a distinguished road
Default windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing

2000 blazer 4x4 The 25amp fuse for my windshield wipers blows as soon as I turn the ignition switch to the on position. Thinking it might be the multi function switch I got a replacement and without removing the old switch I unplugged the old switch and plugged in the new switch and fuse still blows. I blow (no pun intended) at electrical work. Would the ignition switch possibly cause this? Has anyone had this problem. Any help would be much appreciated

Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Maybe some of the insulation got scrapped or rubbed off of a wire, and it's laid up against ground somewhere? Maybe measure the resistance from the load side of the fuse to ground?

Or, just jumper across the fuse, and let it sit. Where the smoke comes from, is your problem! Lol

Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Gave this some thought, your screwed...J/K, work this problem backwards. Disconnect the battery negative. Repeat- disconnect- you donít want to trigger air bags or damage one of the electronic modules. Use the following- this is for a 98 so may have some differences depending on your year and options. Use a voltmeter and do some checks from the connector to ground and such. Probe inside the module too, from the power to ground and such like pins B to C should not be shorted. Then try say a alligator clip to tie a pin on connector to one lead and take other lead to fuse box and check to that. Best I can recommend is process of elimination- by working backwards should be able to pin short down. I doubt ignition switch itself but the multifunction arm, could be a pinched wire. Can drop the cover underwheel (2 screws on mine) and peek around and follow it down shaft towards the brake pedal area. To see that lower part will have to drop knee cover. Overall guess, short either in wiring coming down steering column or in module under hood. Hope these diagrams can help.

Layout under hood (this for 1998 Blazer)

1998 blazer. Check with voltmeter- continuity for shorts

Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by yardbird View Post
2000 blazer 4x4 The 25amp fuse for my windshield wipers blows as soon as I turn the ignition switch to the on position. Thinking it might be the multi function switch I got a replacement and without removing the old switch I unplugged the old switch and plugged in the new switch and fuse still blows. I blow (no pun intended) at electrical work. Would the ignition switch possibly cause this? Has anyone had this problem. Any help would be much appreciated
It sounds like you have a short somewhere... Besides what others have said, there might be a possibility you have a problem with the wiper pulse board??? It is located I believe behind a black box on the firewall about the middle of the truck. 2 or 3 screws to take the cover off and there it is... Most people resolder it themselves but you can buy 1 at your local parts store for like $25 to $30 bucks I think... Just a thought if what others suggested dosen't fix the problem

Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member
yardbird is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses back to the few who gave their input. It was very helpful. Wipers are working again without the fuse blowing for now. I had the truck at the shop for the last 2 days and although the exact problem was never found, by moving the wires around they were able to get it working. I realize that this thing is far from fixed and it can go back to the way it was at any time but I'll take it the way it is and buy some time. I am still having a problem with the fuse to the blower relay, when I replace the fuse brake lights turn on. I really don't like electrical problems. Take care for now.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Wow, should have asked them what area they moved wires around at. Odds are same general area is source for brakes lights shorting to blower. Best guess under the lower panels on drivers side above brake pedal. Good luck.