Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
yardbird is on a distinguished road
Default windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing

2000 blazer 4x4 The 25amp fuse for my windshield wipers blows as soon as I turn the ignition switch to the on position. Thinking it might be the multi function switch I got a replacement and without removing the old switch I unplugged the old switch and plugged in the new switch and fuse still blows. I blow (no pun intended) at electrical work. Would the ignition switch possibly cause this? Has anyone had this problem. Any help would be much appreciated

Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Maybe some of the insulation got scrapped or rubbed off of a wire, and it's laid up against ground somewhere? Maybe measure the resistance from the load side of the fuse to ground?

Or, just jumper across the fuse, and let it sit. Where the smoke comes from, is your problem! Lol

Old 03-13-2019, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Gave this some thought, your screwed...J/K, work this problem backwards. Disconnect the battery negative. Repeat- disconnect- you don’t want to trigger air bags or damage one of the electronic modules. Use the following- this is for a 98 so may have some differences depending on your year and options. Use a voltmeter and do some checks from the connector to ground and such. Probe inside the module too, from the power to ground and such like pins B to C should not be shorted. Then try say a alligator clip to tie a pin on connector to one lead and take other lead to fuse box and check to that. Best I can recommend is process of elimination- by working backwards should be able to pin short down. I doubt ignition switch itself but the multifunction arm, could be a pinched wire. Can drop the cover underwheel (2 screws on mine) and peek around and follow it down shaft towards the brake pedal area. To see that lower part will have to drop knee cover. Overall guess, short either in wiring coming down steering column or in module under hood. Hope these diagrams can help.

Layout under hood (this for 1998 Blazer)

1998 blazer. Check with voltmeter- continuity for shorts

Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by yardbird
2000 blazer 4x4 The 25amp fuse for my windshield wipers blows as soon as I turn the ignition switch to the on position. Thinking it might be the multi function switch I got a replacement and without removing the old switch I unplugged the old switch and plugged in the new switch and fuse still blows. I blow (no pun intended) at electrical work. Would the ignition switch possibly cause this? Has anyone had this problem. Any help would be much appreciated
It sounds like you have a short somewhere... Besides what others have said, there might be a possibility you have a problem with the wiper pulse board??? It is located I believe behind a black box on the firewall about the middle of the truck. 2 or 3 screws to take the cover off and there it is... Most people resolder it themselves but you can buy 1 at your local parts store for like $25 to $30 bucks I think... Just a thought if what others suggested dosen't fix the problem

Old 03-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the responses back to the few who gave their input. It was very helpful. Wipers are working again without the fuse blowing for now. I had the truck at the shop for the last 2 days and although the exact problem was never found, by moving the wires around they were able to get it working. I realize that this thing is far from fixed and it can go back to the way it was at any time but I'll take it the way it is and buy some time. I am still having a problem with the fuse to the blower relay, when I replace the fuse brake lights turn on. I really don't like electrical problems. Take care for now.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM
Starting Member

Wow, should have asked them what area they moved wires around at. Odds are same general area is source for brakes lights shorting to blower. Best guess under the lower panels on drivers side above brake pedal. Good luck.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member

It's been a week or so since I last posted about my fuse blowing. I was under no illusion that all would be okay after wiggling a few wires and of course I was right. Although I have not had the time to really get a good look at what's going on but I believe the problem is under the dash near the backside of the fuse box. So the questions I have are these, where does the power wire into the back of the fuse box come from? Ignition switch? A wiring diagram for the ignition switch would (I think) be helpful. .Thanks in advance

Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 PM
Starting Member

I keep wanting to write up a detailed explanation of how to do the diagnostic for this but without knowing your skill level with tools like a digital multimeter or if you even own one alone how detailed I have to be that I get 3 to 4 paragraphs in and delete all. (Done that 3 times already).

WIll make a simple guess, the issue is in one of two spots. EIther its in the harness area in the first diagram I posted toward passenger side or in the connector near the brake switch at base of steering wheel column. To test any of this I would do just this. Unplug the wipers (Number 1 in first diagram), replace fuse, turn on key..did fuse blow? Yes/no? If yes, power wire c in that connector is shorted somewhere. No, assume issue is with motor itself. Seeing you said it worked for a while after shop jiggled some wires I think we can say its a short.

That harness from wiper run toward passenger side to several connectors as you can see in diagram 1. Look at that whole thing going over there. Mine was rubbing but not shorted where it crossed over the box for the heat/air in Blazer. Next follow it the other way to firewall. Make sure it all looks okay. You could take a digital meter that beeps, using two alligator clips and put one to pin c and other to ground. (Fuse out please!) Move that wiring around till you hear beep come and go. That’s your shorted area. There should be no short (beep) between that pin and the fuse. Best I can do to simplify this. Any deeper would take a lengthy handsfree phone call or facetime to try to walk you thru it.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Beginning Member

I disconnected the wiper motor and with new fuse, key turned on the fuse blew immediately. Short? So now you would like me to first off inspect the wires in the harness in the diagram from driver's side to passenger side checking for any anomalies. If all seems o.k. you want me to check the power out to the wiper connector by clipping pin C with an alligator clip with the fuse out jiggle the wiring and see if the meter beeps SHORT. If no beep? It now seems along with fuse 17 wipers, fuse 9 HVAC is blowing at ignition on as well. I can't help but believe the two are related seeing that they both run inside the same harness.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Starting Member

Yep, short. Most likely under hood near that Air Condition unit 13/14/15 area in diagram 1. LIke I said above, fuse out, multimeter and alligator clip leads do continuity checks for short. Black lead to ground, other probes the connector. Wiggle wires, see if you can locate where it starts/stops. Best is a meter that beeps so you do not need to see it just hear it and you move wires around. Best I can do remotely like this. We both know its shorted, and run in that harness. Need to roughly find area its happening at and then fix. So you just keep moving around, can check under dash area near feet too, when you hear that thing beep and then not then beep you found your trouble area. Pin C is the line to fuse. If C (should be yellow) meets ground fuse blows. Crossing fingers for you.

Quick Reply: windshield wiper fuse keeps blowing